SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Slow Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
I am noticing that the scan rate on my SDS100 has slowed down considerably. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this? I am capable of “dumb thumbing” some settings. I just can’t figure out what may be causing the slow down. Thanks.

a417

U+0000
I am noticing that the scan rate on my SDS100 has slowed down considerably. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this? I am capable of “dumb thumbing” some settings. I just can’t figure out what may be causing the slow down. Thanks.
do you have close call on?

blackbelter

Possibly the Cold Solder Joint issue . Lots of discussions regarding this known issue on this forum. One of the symptoms are the slowing scan rate .

tvengr

Well Known Member
Did you change programming recently? You could be scanning the same system multiple times or you are scanning sites out of range.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Make sure Auto filters are not on. You may just be scanning too many systems. Maybe you're scanning too many sites on a system that you don't need that aren't close to you.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Lots of probabilities. Like trentbob said, auto filters will s l o w things down considerably... especially if you accidently set the global to auto. Also, check your digital waiting times and delays.

And sites: Remember that EACH trunking site, the radio 'listens' to it to see if there is any grant requests, then moves on to the next site. It does this for EACH site, so the more sites, the longer it's gonna take. Either use tighter location control, or avoid those sites out of range, or you don't want/need to monitor.

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
Did you change programming recently? You
Make sure Auto filters are not on. You may just be scanning too many systems. Maybe you're scanning too many sites on a system that you don't need that aren't close to you.
could be scanning the same system multiple times or you are scanning sites out of range.
Auto Filters are off.

Ubbe

I am noticing that the scan rate on my SDS100 has slowed down considerably.
Can you see a difference with and without antenna connected?

A debug log show a lot of things, including the cold solder joint problem and will also show the exact scan speed. Let the debug log run for 2 minutes without antenna so that it doesn't receive any signal. Then make a new debug log with the antenna connected and try to continue scan when a conversation halts the scanning.

Debug log

/Ubbe

David628

Premium Subscriber

Did you accidentally select "Full Database" by chance under "Menu, Set Scan Selection, Select Lists to Monitor, Full Database off/on" or are you using custom programing? If your running "Full Database set to on" did you set the distance to monitor range lower than 25-50 miles, more like 5-10 instead?

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
Did you accidentally select "Full Database" by chance under "Menu, Set Scan Selection, Select Lists to Monitor, Full Database off/on" or are you using custom programing? If your running "Full Database set to on" did you set the distance to monitor range lower than 25-50 miles, more like 5-10 instead?
Thanks. Not running full database.

W6VVM

Here are two videos I took in the last few weeks that I think do a pretty good job at showing the scan speed issue, at least as I experience it. The scanner did not receive any programming between the two videos being recorded. It is strictly a conventional system with a bunch of business licenses from my area, broken down by band. Sometimes it is fast, sometimes it is slow, and removing the antenna doesn't change the behavior. In fact, I haven't seen anything change the behavior other than the passing of time.

This is my first attempt at linking to a dropbox video so hopefully it works.

SDS100 Fast and Slow Videos

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
Here are two videos I took in the last few weeks that I think do a pretty good job at showing the scan speed issue, at least as I experience it. The scanner did not receive any programming between the two videos being recorded. It is strictly a conventional system with a bunch of business licenses from my area, broken down by band. Sometimes it is fast, sometimes it is slow, and removing the antenna doesn't change the behavior. In fact, I haven't seen anything change the behavior other than the passing of time.

Removing the antenna on mine did not make any difference in the scanning speed.

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
Removing the antenna on mine did not make any difference in the scanning speed.
Can you see a difference with and without antenna connected?

A debug log show a lot of things, including the cold solder joint problem and will also show the exact scan speed. Let the debug log run for 2 minutes without antenna so that it doesn't receive any signal. Then make a new debug log with the antenna connected and try to continue scan when a conversation halts the scanning.

Debug log

/Ubbe

It will be a few days before I will be able to get to a computer to do a Debug test.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
What specifically are you scanning? Trunked systems? Conventional channels? Both? If a trunked system, only scanning one site at a time (site hold) will greatly improve scan rate. If scanning a FL with multiple systems, pick one system and stick with it. Also the more channels you have programmed into a conventional system/department, the longer the scan will take so split your conventionals into different departments or only program in what you're interested in hearing and nothing else

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

I had a chance to watch these this morning. It looks like you're not "scanning" but "searching" in the business band. Many possibilities in there...MotoTRBO rest channels, P25 control channels etc. might slow things down. You might have to sit down and learn a little bit about how to scan specific systems to understand how the scanner works. No issues with "scan speed" when your "searching".

W6VVM

I had a chance to watch these this morning. It looks like you're not "scanning" but "searching" in the business band. Many possibilities in there...MotoTRBO rest channels, P25 control channels etc. might slow things down. You might have to sit down and learn a little bit about how to scan specific systems to understand how the scanner works. No issues with "scan speed" when your "searching".

I’m not using the search function on the scanner. It’s just a system that I built manually that I’m scanning through. Guessing it’s got a few hundred channels in it, between the various “departments” (bands in this case). I’ll happily upload the file when I get to the computer at some point.

In any case, both videos show the same exact system being scanned. In one video it takes almost a minute to get through the system, and in the other video it makes two passes in a few seconds if I recall correctly.

The inconsistent behavior makes me wonder if it is the cold solder joint issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.