New Radio IDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
To the other Unitrunker users in the group and maybe those tracking Radio IDs on their GREs, has anybody noticed a large influx of new Radios IDs in the last few weeks?

I had most of my agencies fairly well identified but over the last few weeks I have seen more and more that are Bright Green. I also copied traffic from a West Jordan unit today saying that his radio was changed out last week.

Just curious if others are seeing this same thing...

kf7yn

I have noticed some new radio IDs but not a large influx. I have been running Trunker more or less continuous for 8 or 9 years so I have a large database of radio IDs. One problem is a bunch of radios got swapped out and I see a lot of old Orem Fire IDs now showing up on Bountiful PD, for example. There are many more like that with the big rebanding radio switcharoo. It's a challenge keeping up with 20,000+ radio IDs.

I have 99.9% of West Jordan radio IDs correctly idenfitied. Give me a list of IDs you want to compare notes on.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
It is my understanding that the new version of Unitrunker will eventually allow a sharing/import ability for Radio IDs. This would allow those of us running the software to simply send files back and forth and be able to import them.

In speaking with the writer of the software I mentioned the importance for being able to override an import so things don't get over written. This is primarily due to the various ways to notate a given ID.

qlajlu

Silent Key
RID Database?

You know, collecting and identifying RIDs could get to the same level as collecting and identifying TGs the way you guys are going. I suggest that someone should build a common, shared database to compare and keep track of RIDs. I'm sure one of you geeks (using that word in a complimentary and envious way) could do that without too much trouble. Otherwise there is going to be duplication, private lists, and "Dusty Old Lists" as everyone attempts to reinvent the wheel. We already know that using RIDs is helpful in identifying new TGs. Sounds like this might be the next logical step since all the "easy" TGs have been ID'd.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Great thought qlajlu...

I was hopeful that Unitrunker would give us that ability fairly quickly so we could avoid writing something.

I have some web develoiper buddies that might be able to whip something up as the new files are all XML based so it should be fairly easy. The issue is how do we deal with duplicates on a central database?

In other words if I say "SLCo SO A32" Somebody else might say "County Sheriff O Alpha 32". There is no right and wrong just different ways of doing it. I think there should be some type of automatic compare interface that then only imports the stuff not already assigned. Then and online edit interface to make changes and such.

I will check with my friends and see if they are up for a project. Unless we have a web/XML guys here that wants to work on it?

kf7yn

Agreed, our individual nomenclature would not lend itself well to others because we each have our own way to tag a radio ID and talkgroup ID.

What I was wondering is if you want to put unit numbers to your unknown West Jordan PD radio IDs, I rarely see a unit not identified, or identified incorrectly. Since I live in WJ, I have 99.9% of them ID'd.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
...What I was wondering is if you want to put unit numbers to your unknown West Jordan PD radio IDs, ....

So here enters the issue. I would love to have them and if you can send me an export I will take it. brett /at\ brettneilson {dot} com. The issue is that there is no easy way to get the radio IDs from you and get them into my Unitrunker without killing all of my stuff.

If we had an online utility this might make it a bit easier...

kf7yn

You're right. It would be way too labor intensive to do it. I gues that's why I haven't upgraded to Unitrunker. Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.