uniden bearcat bct8 program problem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

e2cm2000

I have got my scanner to scan. I also got it to show up on my computer. Can anyone help me program it to trunktrack and program it the right way I must say this is hard please help thanks.

qlajlu

Silent Key
I have got my scanner to scan. I also got it to show up on my computer. Can anyone help me program it to trunktrack and program it the right way I must say this is hard please help thanks.
First let me say,
Welcome to the Utah Forum of RR.com
e3cm3000

I'm not sure you are going to like what we have to tell you. Over the past several months the UCAN Radio Engineers have been in the process of Rebanding (Blue underlined words or phrases are usually links to other documents - click to follow) radio transmitters used by public service agencies in Utah. Rebanding has changed the way a scanner will be able to follow conversations in a trunked system. All scanners needed to be upgraded to be able to continue working, but some older scanners are not capable of being upgraded in order to continue trunk-tracking. Unfortunately, your scanner is one that cannot be upgraded.

HOWEVER, all is not lost because the Salt Lake City system (AC33) and the Salt Lake Airport system (3521) have not changed and you can continue trunk-tracking those systems. This will allow you to listen to SLC PD, SLC FD, and airport operations.

You are correct, programming these scanners is not intuitive. It has taken a lot of time for all of us to learn how to do it and not being familiar with your particular scanner is not helping. I'm not familiar with the BCT8. I do have a BC780XLT and if they are near the same, I can give you some basic instruction, but you will have to become intently familiar with your owner's manual yourself to learn the basics and be able to tweak the settings.

On my 780 I entered all the frequencies for a site into one bank. I also entered the Talk Groups (TGs) that I wanted to listen to from that site. When programming TGs, use the "Dec" number given for each TG. If you do it this way, you will be running a "closed" system and only hear the TGs you have programmed into your scanner. Select Motorola Type II 800 MHz and then you must press and hold the "Trunk" button until you hear two beeps after entering each and every frequency. At this point I am going to force you to look around the Radio Reference Web site to become familiar with it. You will find the frequencies you are looking for in the Database (link at the top of each page).

Continue reading your owner's manual to learn how to enter the TGs.

Now, before we go any further, please return to your User CP (left side of second blue bar from top of any page) and edit your profile to add your location (city & state). Many of the questions posted here require area specific answers and we have so many members that we cannot remember them all. Your location will automatically show in each of your posts and besides, it is just a small courtesy to the rest of us.

Again, welcome. I know this is not all you need to program your scanner, but you must get most of the information from your owner's manual. Someone else with a BCT8 may come along that can lend a further helping hand.

qlajlu

Silent Key
I just read in the Uniden Forum (UPMan), the BCT8 will have a rebanding update.
e2cm2000, this is great news. The information I had yesterday was that your scanner would not be able to be upgraded, but it appears that it will be possible to upgrade your scanner towards the end of January so it will be a fully functional trunk-tracking scanner once again. You will need to keep in touch with this forum to keep track.

Also, thanks for filling in your location. I can see now that my answer was a little off base because I thought you were further north where you could hear the Salt Lake TRS (Trunked Radio System), but I see now that was way off base.

Start practicing programming your scanner and get very familiar with your owner's manual. Keep asking questions when you need help. We'll do our best to get you running.

bchris

e2cm2000,

I could share my older, non-trunking (conventional) frequencies for Utah County with you, if you are interested. Likely many of them still carry a 'copy' of the most popular talkgroup transmissions. Did you recently purchase your BCT8, or have you had it a while?

e2cm2000

Thanks

e2cm2000,

I could share my older, non-trunking (conventional) frequencies for Utah County with you, if you are interested. Likely many of them still carry a 'copy' of the most popular talkgroup transmissions. Did you recently purchase your BCT8, or have you had it a while?

I would love that Im still learning how to program the scanner I just got it a week ago . Let me tell you this stuff is hard !

demi22

I have just purchased the BCT8 myself. I am having issues with it tracking properly. I am having the issue of having it get stuck on the following channel 858.4625 (i'm also located in central PA). I live 45 mins from Penn State Main campus. I had this issue and thought it was something that I had done. I then took the scanner to radio shack (which a number of local guys told me to do when it came to program trunking). This issues is still happening. Anyone have a idea as to what might be causing this?

Rolfman

Well let me pull out my Magic 8 Ball and take a stab. (Yes I’m in a very sarcastic mood this morning, Sorry)

Not knowing if you are conventional, Motorola trunk scanning, LTR, EDACS it is really hard to begin to guess what the problem is. If you were by chance trunking on a Motorola system I would first suggest making sure the scanner is really trunking because it sounds like it isn’t.

There are some people here that might be able to help but the more information the better.

demi22

I am running a Motorola truck Tracker III on the scanner and it is a Motorola trucking system used by the county. (centre county that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.