800 range freq's

Status
Not open for further replies.

horntoad

I have the PRO 164 and WIN 97. I am new at programming scanners. The problem I am having is finding Alpha Tags for the 800 freq range so I can identify who is transmitting. I am interested in Salt Lake County freq's and in particular, Police, Fire, Ambulance.

Thanks John

Rolfman

Well judging by your comments, and I hope I am not offending you, I think you need to read this first.

Trunked Radio Systems - The RadioReference Wiki

Once you understand trunked systems you will have a better handle on how to program your scanner. You are not looking for frequencies per say any more. The UCAN system that carries Salt Lake County is a Motorola Type II SmartZone so don’t read to hard about the other types right now. Before you get too carried away on programming also check out the firmware upgrade for your scanner so it can handle the re-banded system we have out here. (Also in the Wiki)

There are some around here using a 164 I think and given some time they will jump in and help I’m sure.

qlajlu

Silent Key
I have the PRO 164 and WIN 97. I am new at programming scanners. The problem I am having is finding Alpha Tags for the 800 freq range so I can identify who is transmitting. I am interested in Salt Lake County freq's and in particular, Police, Fire, Ambulance.

Thanks John

Welcome to the Utah Forum of RR.com​
horntoad!​

I am a little confused (not uncommon, by the way :roll:). Are you entering the 800 MHz frequencies as conventional frequencies? ...or are you setting things up to trunk-track the systems?

WIN97 and your Premium Membership will allow the tags to be imported from the RR.com Database with the Talk Groups (TGs) they are describing. If you are trying to scan those frequencies as conventional, there is no way you can tag them because those 800 MHz frequencies will be used by a different TG over and over. Read about Trunking Basics so you will understand how the same 800 MHz frequencies get used.

You might be aware, too, the the Pro-164 has had major problems trunk-tracking the UCAN system since rebanding. Read through this thread and you may see what I mean.

I guess what I am saying is that we need more information from you to see where things are at.

Again, welcome to our little part of paradise.

EDIT TO ADD: Many more questions:
  1. Since you have WIN97, are you able to upload to the scanner?
  2. In other words, can your computer talk to the scanner?
  3. What have you entered and how did you enter it (By hand or using the computer)?
  4. Where did you get the frequencies you are using?
  5. Which Site(s) are you interested in scanning?

Last edited:

horntoad

The answer to question 1 YES.
Question to number 2 YES.
Question 3:I have entered it by hand and with the computer, WIN 97.
Question 4, The Radio Reference. In the search box I typed in freq in 800 rangd, Utah talk groups etc.
Question 5. Salt Lake county, Police, Fire, Medical.

Are you familiar with WIN 97? Specifically how to use the area that deals with DEC, HEX, AFS?
I feel like I will have to use one of those three if I am going to beable to program the 800 series frequencies the way I want. I want to be able to identify who is transmitting. As Iunderstand it I do this by entering the Alpha Tag. The UHP Salt Lake County dispatch alpha tag is Ut Common and the freq is 155.505. With UCAN and the 800 freq's there is no assigned freq.
I know there is a way to do this manually however I am new and have not as yet figured oput how to do it. I can choose a bank and enter 800 freq's but I will not be able to tell who is transmitting. I think the best way is with WIN 97 and the DEC or HEX proghram.

Thanks John

N7YUO

Get Educated First

I want to be able to identify who is transmitting. As Iunderstand it I do this by entering the Alpha Tag. The UHP Salt Lake County dispatch alpha tag is Ut Common and the freq is 155.505. With UCAN and the 800 freq's there is no assigned freq.
I know there is a way to do this manually however I am new and have not as yet figured oput how to do it. I can choose a bank and enter 800 freq's but I will not be able to tell who is transmitting. I think the best way is with WIN 97 and the DEC or HEX proghram.

Thanks John

John, I am going to be blunt and to the point, so please don't take offense. Your posts indicate that you are way off track in your understanding of Trunked Radio Systems and how they work. There is no way we can provide you good advice unitl you have a working knowledge of how trunking works.

On VHF, 154.905 is Salt Lake UHP Dispatch (155.505 is Statewide)
On UCAN, the RadioReference alpha tag for Salt Lake UHP Dispatch is
UHP SLCo Disp, the Talk Group ID (TGID) is 19712 in DEC or 4D00 in HEX.
Scanners I am familiar with all use DEC.

If you want to know who is talking, you have to program your scanner with all of the TGID's of all the agencys you want to hear. Along with all those TGID's, you also have to program all of the Alpha Tags for them.

I am not a premium member, so I do not download from RR to my scanner.
I copy the data into MS Excel, Edit the frequencies and TGID's, and copy & paste them into the program for my scanner. If you don't edit them, the numbers will change after you paste them in Win500.

Bottom line is, you need to get educated on trunking or we will not be able to help you. Learn what Talk Groups are, What TGID's are, and you will understand that Alpha Tags are just abbreviated names that are small enough to fit on the scanner display screen. Sample alpha tags:
UU PD1, UHP Car, SUMMIT SO, TOOELE SO, TRANSIT 1, PROVO PD1

Status
Not open for further replies.