morgan county...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drtracr

Ok so i'm obviously new to this so my question is... I live in morgan so in order to hear PD FD etc transmissions do I need to program in just the weber county simulcast and the conventional frequencies for morgan county? Or do I also need to progam the control frequencis for morgan peak, francis peak, lewis peak and ogden? Thanks in advance.

ww7y

Ok so i'm obviously new to this so my question is... I live in morgan so in order to hear PD FD etc transmissions do I need to program in just the weber county simulcast and the conventional frequencies for morgan county? Or do I also need to progam the control frequencis for morgan peak, francis peak, lewis peak and ogden? Thanks in advance.

I don't know which radio you have, but if it supports multiple systems, I would program each control channel you can receive in it's own system. Monitor each and see which has the units you want to listen to. I imagine Morgan peak will be the one with most of morgan traffic. Lewis will have lots of Summit and Wasatch county trafffic. Francis and Ogden peaks will have northern Wasatch front traffic. UCAN radios have a preferred site they affiliate with but if it is weak or not heard, they will search for the strongest site they hear and affiliate with it. Whatever talkgroup that radio is tuned to will then be heard on that site. So you could hear just about anything on the high altitude IR (repeater) sites on the peaks around you. The talkgroups will come and go on these sites as radios join and leave that site.

Weber Simulcast will probably not be heard in Morgan....unless they have a site up there I am not aware of. Just program in the control channel and see if you receive it.

Don't know which agencies in Morgan still use conventional frequencies. Almost everyone along the Wasatch is now on UCAN. Conventional frequencies are sometimes simulcast and used for fire paging.

I'm sure someone from up your way will weigh in with more recommendations.

Steve - WW7Y

Last edited:

drtracr

Hey thanks for the advice Steve. I guess I should have explained myself a little better... but the reason I was asking about using the Weber County simulcast is that the way I understand it all of Morgan County is dispatched through Weber. Has anyone else heard that?
Thanks again!

ww7y

Hey thanks for the advice Steve. I guess I should have explained myself a little better... but the reason I was asking about using the Weber County simulcast is that the way I understand it all of Morgan County is dispatched through Weber. Has anyone else heard that?
Thanks again!

If Weber is dispatching Morgan units, they don't have to be on Weber Simo. The Morgan units will connect(affiliate) with the site they hear best and the Weber dispatch talkgroup will be brought up on that site. If you can't hear the Weber Simo control channel on 853.9875 (it will sound like a idling desiel engine) then try Morgan Peak on 851.7125. Any control channel you hear with a good signal can be set up as a trunking system. Just see which ones you can hear.

Last edited:

k7kop

Premium Subscriber
You will want to program Mt. Ogden, Morgan Peak, and Francis. They all carry Weber North 6016 which is the dispatch channel for Morgan, UHP, and the North cities in Weber County. It will just depend on where you are at in Morgan which one you will get best. Mt. Ogden carries a lot of traffic, and if you are able to get it that would be my first choice.

yaesu_dave

You may also want to try monitoring the VHF simulcast of the Weber North talk group on 151.280. The 11 Echo (Morgan County) units are dispatched on that frequency, and the VHF repeater might have better coverage at your location than 800 MHz.

bchris

Another 2 cents worth of advice

WW7Y - I think your replies were right on and very well said.

Thanks again!

drtracr - Regardless of where the dispatcher is located if you want to hear ONLY Morgan area traffic, you should monitor the strongest signal, the site that all the Morgan radios 'affilliate' with, which is likely Morgan Peak. If you want to hear traffic from another area, such as the entire Weber area, you should set up the sites you can hear closest to those areas as well. If you listen while driving around, it would also be a good idea to set up some of the other sites in the area in case you lose Morgan Peak, such as Echo and Mt Ogden. In these cases you could just include all the control channels in one system, since you would only need to monitor one of them at a time. The most coverage, but more work to setup, would still be to have multiple systems at least for each of the busy sites.

I went 'signal hunting' a couple years ago down Ogden Canyon through Morgan. What a wonderful area! I took my wife back the next summer just to show her how cool it is. I think you are in a great area for monitoring a lot of radio activity. If I lived there, I wouldn't be able to resist setting up ALL the systems mentioned in the other posts.

-B.Christensen

Status
Not open for further replies.