?TG: 32 - Site 3 - UCAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

On my drive in today I copied traffic on TG 32. The conversations were fairly low-key and casual talking about pulling up to gates and getting the buses on the road. I do however, believe this to be an LDS Church Security channel but would like additional conformation.

Here is my basis:

1) One of the guys (RID 27) was talking to another guy (RID 64011) and indicating that he was with "President Alder". I found this article from 2001 (CLICK HERE) that talks about a Allan Dewane Alder.

2) They were referring to each other as Brother XXXX

3) At one point they said "I guess we should be careful what we say on a clear channel". Since we all know the security is encrypted this was a big indicator for me.

4) Also, I happen to know that LDS Church Security was at UCAN the other day getting some radios programed. So it is very coincidental that less about a week later I hear this traffic.

If anybody has any additional information or insight on this TG, please post it.

kf7yn

I am listening to it too, at least a half dozen units are active.

Just wondering why the Church needs to use UCAN when they have their own trunked system?

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
I would suspect backup and interoperability. That doesn't really indicate why they would have their own TG though other then backup/redundancy.

Delta1262

There was a lot of activity on this talk group last Saturday morning and early afternoon. There was comments made about getting stuff from the Ward House, coordination of people, directing Venders so they can unload and not block traffic, and getting the band off the stage so another band can start playing. There was also a comment made about getting stuff off the Amphitheatre stage.

There was a big shindig (carnival rides, booths, ect.) going on in the South Jordan park off of Redwood Road last Saturday. My thinking is that this TG 32 was to that but I don't know if South Jordan has an Amphitheatre. The only Amphitheatres that I know of are in Kearns, Sandy and I think Murray.

I'm not sure if this TG has anything to do with the LDS Church or South Jordan so my recommendation is to keep a closer eye on this TG.

tbogs

There was a lot of activity on this talk group last Saturday morning and early afternoon. There was comments made about getting stuff from the Ward House, coordination of people, directing Venders so they can unload and not block traffic, and getting the band off the stage so another band can start playing. There was also a comment made about getting stuff off the Amphitheatre stage.

There was a big shindig (carnival rides, booths, ect.) going on in the South Jordan park off of Redwood Road last Saturday. My thinking is that this TG 32 was to that but I don't know if South Jordan has an Amphitheatre. The only Amphitheatres that I know of are in Kearns, Sandy and I think Murray.

I'm not sure if this TG has anything to do with the LDS Church or South Jordan so my recommendation is to keep a closer eye on this TG.

I remember last year, TG 64 was active with Pioneer Park re-opening. The RID's I identified with this TG are showing up with TG 32. I'm wondering if this is some type of Event channel?

Hooligan

The types of comms you hear ("Brother" this & that) certainly sound similar to the traffic I hear on the LDS St George Temple's security/ops repeater on a commercial UHF freq pair down here in SW Utah. I sure hope LDS isn't powerful enough to ask for & receive UCAN access though.

Delta1262

This afternoon there was some "Brother" and "Sister" talk and a comment about setting up for a Scout camp. However I didn't hear any "Brother" or "Sister" talk last Saturday. Right know I'm thinking it might be the Boy Scouts.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
There was a big shindig (carnival rides, booths, ect.) going on in the South Jordan park off of Redwood Road last Saturday. My thinking is that this TG 32 was to that but I don't know if South Jordan has an Amphitheatre. The only Amphitheatres that I know of are in Kearns, Sandy and I think Murray...

This was the South Jordan Country Fest. I was working at the Command Post and we were only operating on Event 14, 15 & 16...

kg6eak

The types of comms you hear ("Brother" this & that) certainly sound similar to the traffic I hear on the LDS St George Temple's security/ops repeater on a commercial UHF freq pair down here in SW Utah. I sure hope LDS isn't powerful enough to ask for & receive UCAN access though.

What are the frequencies for this area?

kg6eak

Try looking the rr database for your area

As informative an answer as you think that is, It's not helpful. The database, is always the first place I look, when people are talking about frequencies, and talkgroups, that are local to me.. Nowhere in the Washington County database, do I see a listing for "LDS St George Temple's security/ops". Trunked or Conventional. Hence, the reason I asked.

I'm a new poster in the forums, but I have lurked over here at RR for a long while (Observe my join date). I know my way around the database.

I guess because I never came out, and gave a 6 paragraph long intro story, before asking for a few frequencies, is the reason I got the response I did from you. Perhaps, I should have introduced myself, and gave the long drawn out story, of getting into scanning at a young age, getting my ham ticket @ age 30, and so on, and so, on...It's the same story as everyone else's. We like scanning, and some of us also like ham radio. Nothing new to add to that, so I never did.

From now on, I will make sure to state, that I have searched the RR Dbase over & over, and I couldn't locate ???? before I post up..

Thanks for the sour persimmons.

Junior1970

As informative an answer as you think that is, It's not helpful. The database, is always the first place I look, when people are talking about frequencies, and talkgroups, that are local to me.. Nowhere in the Washington County database, do I see a listing for "LDS St George Temple's security/ops". Trunked or Conventional. Hence, the reason I asked.

I'm a new poster in the forums, but I have lurked over here at RR for a long while (Observe my join date). I know my way around the database.

I guess because I never came out, and gave a 6 paragraph long intro story, before asking for a few frequencies, is the reason I got the response I did from you. Perhaps, I should have introduced myself, and gave the long drawn out story, of getting into scanning at a young age, getting my ham ticket @ age 30, and so on, and so, on...It's the same story as everyone else's. We like scanning, and some of us also like ham radio. Nothing new to add to that, so I never did.

From now on, I will make sure to state, that I have searched the RR Dbase over & over, and I couldn't locate ???? before I post up..

Thanks for the sour persimmons.

There has to be one idiot that feels that it's his duty to be cute and make a simple comment about a relatively good question. Maybe he didn't mean it to be flippant I don't know. I hope not! Not all of us on here are that way!
To answer your question I don't know of anything that way in the form of LDS freqs however Hooligan seem to have a pretty good handle on the situation there in Washington County. I have spoken to him personally and he seems to know his stuff.
Most of the LDS stuff up here in the SLC area other than the boring stuff is encrypted on their own system so I personally don't bother. But that's me.
Again welcome (three years on) and don't let one individual sour your experience. Ask away.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Hooligan

LDS St George Temple security/ops repeater is 461.300MHz, 179.9Hz CTCSS. It's probably a low-profile repeater meant to provide coverage just at the temple campus, but the repeater can be received out around Hildale, Hurricane, etc.

It's fairly busy, day & night & has telephone interconnect. I monitored it for a while because it provided some good insight about the Mormon inner-workings (friendly, easy-going, & respectful) but I don't monitor it any more.

It's very interesting to me that up yonder at their 'Big House' up in SLC they use encryption for some of their comms. I have more respect for LDS than most other religions, but I wonder if their bigwigs -- 13 apostles or whatever they're called, actually have security details assigned to them, using the secure channels?

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Received comms with this TG (32) today. RID (60965) used was also being used on UCAN Engineer 1 TG.

Status
Not open for further replies.