UTA TRAX mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

seligman

On a recent SLC business trip, I logged and recorded all UTA frequencies with my laptop and Proscan software. I let it run overnight at the hotel.

1. TRAX uses two conventional repeaters for dispatching purposes. RR identifies them as TRAX Control 1 (939.9500) and TRAX Control 2 (938.4125). I heard the identical locations and types of radio traffic on both frequencies. So what's the difference between TRAX 1 and 2?

2. Around dinner time, the dispatcher gets on TRAX 1 (939.9500) and tells all trains to switch to TRAX 2. This was bizarre because nobody listened, or so it seemed. TRAX 1 got busier after those instructions were issued. This has me wondering, are the RR labels for TRAX channels reversed by mistake? In other words, is TRAX 1 (939.9500) really TRAX 2, and vice versa?

FWIW, that night TRAX 2 (938.4125) was dead between 8:26pm and 4:48am.

Thanks!
-seligman

Utah_Viper

Unless they have changed them, they were entered correctly at the time. My friend works for Trax and the information was correct, i will try to contact him to see if there have been changes.

As to your question of the difference in the two channels: Trax 1 is used for The North/South Line and Trax 2 is uded for the University line.... with all of the new lines coming online soon i expect that this will undergo changes.

I will try my contact and get the newest info.

seligman

Unless they have changed them, they were entered correctly at the time. My friend works for Trax and the information was correct, i will try to contact him to see if there have been changes.

As to your question of the difference in the two channels: Trax 1 is used for The North/South Line and Trax 2 is uded for the University line.... with all of the new lines coming online soon i expect that this will undergo changes.

I will try my contact and get the newest info.

I got the impression TRAX 2 was used for east-west University line trains. However, my logs indicate a problem with that theory, at least partially. TRAX 2 went silent for the night at 8:26pm -- even though TRAX service runs until midnight. My guess is that TRAX 1 and 2 are shared/consolidated based on time of day.

While I'm thinking about it, the database shows 938.400 as a TRAX maintenance frequency. I'm 110% positive this is not TRAX, but UTA Frontrunner maintenance at the Warm Springs Shop (in SLC).

Any light you can shed on the TRAX channels, I'd be very grateful to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.