Simulcast Site Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridinexcitement

Premium Subscriber
My problem is as follows. I am not sure if my understanding is wrong or if I am programming my scanner incorrectly. I live in Centerville (Davis County) I want to be able to listen to radio traffic from the Weber county area. Weber, Davis, Salt Lake and Utah Counties all have simulcast sites. That said, should I be able to hear Weber County traffic if I am in range of the Davis County simulcast site, but not the Weber County site? If my understanding is correct, when I am in range of any of the simulcast sites, I should be able to listen to radio traffic from any other of the simulcast sites as well.

Thanks for any and all help!

Spadinator

I live in westpoint and I listen to weber county on all the weber sites. I also pick up most Davis sites on the weber ones as well. I pickup most traffic on the mt Ogden site. I do program all control channels into every bank that is close to the site I intend to listen to.

ridinexcitement

Premium Subscriber
I just added the Mount Ogden site, I am picking up a little traffic now, but it has quite a bit of static. If all these sites are supposed to be simulcast, why can't I pick up one sites transmissions on the other sites? Meaning, in this case, I should be able to listen to Weber county traffic on the Davis, Salt Lake and Utah county repeaters. Are these really not simulcast sites as the frequency database states? Or, is it that my understanding of simulcast sites is wrong?

troymail

Silent Key
Generally, a "site" within a "system" is somewhat standalone. In most cases, the activity within a "site" will stay within that site.

If a user that is usually in "site A" travels into (or near) "site B", the talkgroup will become active in both sites. When that user leaves "site B", the talkgroup will (may) no longer be active on "site B".

Different scanners have different features - generally the scanner is going to lock on to the strongest CC frequency and stay there until the scanner has user settings that tell the radio to check all sites for activity.

I like to program each "site" as a separate "system" so I have the control.

Simulcast usually just means that the signal is/can come from multiple antennas within the "site" (vs. one signal real tall, really powerfully antenna).

wingmaker

My problem is as follows. I am not sure if my understanding is wrong or if I am programming my scanner incorrectly. I live in Centerville (Davis County) I want to be able to listen to radio traffic from the Weber county area. Weber, Davis, Salt Lake and Utah Counties all have simulcast sites. That said, should I be able to hear Weber County traffic if I am in range of the Davis County simulcast site, but not the Weber County site? If my understanding is correct, when I am in range of any of the simulcast sites, I should be able to listen to radio traffic from any other of the simulcast sites as well.

Thanks for any and all help!

Like say you have 4 sites in your county, you can pick up one of the 4 and get all that is on all sites on the simulcast system:) LOVE AND BLESSINGS

kd7rto

Simulcast means two or more transmitters operating on the same frequency, at the same time. It absolutely does not mean that every transmission on the Weber County simul will be heard on Davis, Salt Lake, and Utah County simul.

You will, intermittently, hear agencies from other counties. If a Provo PD car is here in Davis County, tuned to his dispatcher, Provo PD's dispatch will be heard on the Davis So. simul. When he leaves, it stops.

You have indicated an interest in monitoring Weber County agencies, to do this you need to monitor the Weber County simul. From Centerville, this will require a rooftop antenna.

Personally I keep what I monitor limited to the immediate area where I am located. If I'm in Centerville, I don't want my scanner tuned to a traffic stop in Sandy, while local officers are being dispatched to an incident a block away.

Last edited:

ridinexcitement

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Troymail and kd7rdo, I think those are the answers I needed. I have intermittantly heard other agencies not typically using my local repeater, and now that makes sense. THANK YOU!

wingmaker

It absolutely does not mean that every transmission on the Weber County simul will be heard on Davis, Salt Lake, and Utah County simul.

Yep for sure, just at times if its a neighboring county:) But if you monitor at least one tower from Davis, and 1 from Salt Lake, and 1 in Utah County on each of there simulcast system, you can pick up all traffic, and not have to pick up all towers in all counties.

Like say a County has 4 towers, 1 on each corner, and you live by the southeast corner one, you can pick up the southeast tower and it will be the same difference if you took your scanner by either of the other 3 towers. So if you can pick up 1 tower Site from each county, You will pick up everything in those counties:) Hope this helps a litte more, just incase my first was a little misunderstood:)
LOVE AND BLESSINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.