173.675 BLM DCS 031 and 051

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger2004

So BLM is using DCS and not PL/CTCSS on these two repeaters.
I can not identify which repeaters they are.

Anyone have a clue?

bcoray

Looks like there are 4 BLM repeaters in the state that use this frequency. Interesting that they only show PL tones. I'm guessing that you are probably hearing Black Crook or West Mtn. See attached.

Attachments

• 173.675 Search.jpg
    173.675 Search.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 341

KF7OQQ

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; SCH-I535 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I think it is Black Crook or West mountain also. I also get a pl tone when I here some use West Mnt. So I wonder if it depends on who is using it

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Ford ridge does the same thing also bruin.. They use DCS rather than pl tones

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Try getting the pl from the input frequency and see if it broadcasts something other than theDCS tone

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
They had a page already name something simular . they moved your in to a temporary section..
They Dont have a Manti-LaSal Section anywhere on wiki if u want to start that page instead, lol.. I heard 172.375 teat recently from here in Price, idk why it came in so good.. Unless they have one on ford ridge. It was a northern utah channel..

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

ranger2004

Ok busy scanner/fire day.

169.150 -- no PL -- AirTac2
172.4375 -- DCS 051 Little Sahara (Juab Co.)
173.675 -- dcs 031 -- BLM Black Crook (Tooele Co.)

Submitted

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
That's odd to see BLM using DCS. I suppose many of the BLM tones are now outdated.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

The input frequencies seem to use pl tones but its the output that the scanner decodes as DCS.. Ford Ridge and bruin both use DCS 051 ford's input is still on 164.475 with a pl of 131.8

SCPD

QRT
That's odd to see BLM using DCS. I suppose many of the BLM tones are now outdated.

I wasn't aware that the list of radios they must use to purchase them has a model capable of DCS operation. CTCSS is the nationwide standard with 16 standardized tones. I haven't heard of anything being done for digital tones. I keep thinking that what you are hearing over there somehow actually CTCSS but have a radio programmed with DCS. In this circumstance the radio will show a DCS tone but is actually transmitting a CTCSS.

I've had various models of scanners with a squelch mode search that have identified a DCS tone in use when a CTCSS tone is actually being transmitted. This happens frequently when a weak signal is being received.

Odd is a good way to put it.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Could the radio use CTCSS and the repeater output DCS?

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 4

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Can the radio input CTCSS and the repeater output DCS?

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 4

ranger2004

I have confirmed it with every radio I have. It is DCS and also County guys told me that next year they will get wildland radios that will be capable of DCS.
So only two DCS repeaters so far is not that big of a deal.
They do mostly admin stuff on them, but use the same freq/site with CTCSS to manage fires.

Brett

I wasn't aware that the list of radios they must use to purchase them has a model capable of DCS operation. CTCSS is the nationwide standard with 16 standardized tones. I haven't heard of anything being done for digital tones. I keep thinking that what you are hearing over there somehow actually CTCSS but have a radio programmed with DCS. In this circumstance the radio will show a DCS tone but is actually transmitting a CTCSS.

I've had various models of scanners with a squelch mode search that have identified a DCS tone in use when a CTCSS tone is actually being transmitted. This happens frequently when a weak signal is being received.

Odd is a good way to put it.

SCPD

QRT
I just took a look at the communications section on the NIFC site. I was able to find programming guides for the current radios approved with the exception of the Bendix-King. All have the capability of using DCS/DPL. Prior to your post I had not heard about federal agencies, at least the wildland fire/federal natural resource community using it. I'm not sure what the advantage is, but the disadvantage would be the extra programming needed for someone coming in from out of the area. As far as I can tell you can't switch from NAC to CTCSS to DCS without entering new numbers and that requires entering the program mode on the radio. Having an additional bank with DCS programmed in reduces the number of banks that a radio utilizing all CTCSS would have.

It is interesting to see the channel plans for various wildland agencies around the country. Most fill up 14 out of 16 banks and leave the last two for cloning on incidents. Now if a DCS capable bank is added something has to be given up to accomplish this. I could be wrong and the radio is able to switch from one squelch type to another. However, I wonder how the 16 standard NWCG tones works on the other modes (DCS and NAC) There is a list, maybe only used in California where the standard 16 tones originated, of 16 NAC codes corresponding with the CTCSS. Now we need to be on the lookout for a DCS 16 standard tone list.

I'm still puzzled with the perceived need to use DCS. Thanks for the heads up on this.

ranger2004

Well the first time I seen it I took a double take thinking it was temporary base or link.
But then started hearing more and more.
What is funny its some of the more remote places in central Utah that are using them.

I am only aware of the Richfield and Little Sierra repeaters using them.
In the last week I have heard some simplex from crews just traveling through the area that had DCS also. Car 2 Car stuff so I have no idea of who they were. I just know they didn't know the area.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.