New guy here. Sandy, UT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB0844

Hi everyone. I am pretty new to the radio scene but I have been reading up and trying my best to understand it. I have A LOT more to learn!! I am lookingto get a Police Scanner Base/Mobile unit. I want to hear Unified Police, Sandy Police, Salt Lake Police and generally anything I can listen to around Salt Lake County. I live in White City just inside of Sandy. I also have a Baofeng UV-5R that I can hear County Fire and UHP on but from what I read they do not operate on a trunking system. What scanner would be a good one to use ofor Salt Lake? I have my eye on a Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT or a Bearcat BCD996P2. I have also looked at some Whistler models as well. I know I do want one that can be rebanded. I am also looking at digital even though most things in the county are Analog with exception of a few. Im thinking digital only because I am not sure if the county is going to want to switch anytime in the near future. Thanks for reading all this if you made it through it! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

N7YUO

All public safety in the area you want to monitor are trunked including UHP & fire.
Salt Lake City can be monitored with a non-rebandable scanner.
For trunked comms on Utah Communications Agency, you will need a rebandable scanner.
Digital trunked networks: Hill AFB, Wyoming (Wyolink), Idaho (Icawin), US National Parks, Tooele Army Depot (380 MHz), Dugway Proving Ground (380 MHz)

N7YUO

Welcome to the Utah Forum.
Since you are new, I would like to recommend this:
https://forums.radioreference.com/new-user-getting-started-forum/
The scanner you choose, depends on your budget, your expertise, and what comms you want to hear.
I have a box of scanners that were state of the art when I bought them, but are now obsolete. AOR 1000, Pro93, Pro95, and others.
So I recommend that you buy the best scanner that you can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.