MARS HF Freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2nov

Has anyone observed any actual HF frequency usage by the various branches of MARS (Army, Air Force, Navy/Marine Corps) recently? I know some may have frequencies in their notes and some may have channel designators. Let's share what we have and match them up.

lanbergld

Hello, Yes I regularly monitor MARS transmissions on HF. The frequencies where I get the most are:

3311 USB
3315 USB
3390 USB

And a whole lot between 4000 and 4040 USB.

Of course, I get all of these in the evening, usually between 2400 UTC and 0300 UTC.

Larry Lanberg

Richmond VA

Realistic DX-400
Icom IC R-100

KE5HOB

As a former MARS member, I can tell you that frequencies are not allowed to be given out, you will have to hunt for them. Also if you have channel designators figured out, I'm sure MARS would appreciate if you kept those to yourself as well. Other than that, have fun listening!

John Morehead
KE5HOB
AAR6CY -US Army MARS Inactive

n2nov

The trick is to share the info so that we all can listen in and enjoy. We are not the terrorists. Besides, the traffic passed is not sensitive or classified.

There is already plenty of info on the DOD freqs, FEMA, SHARES, NCS, etc. MARS, CAP & USCGA is not any more sensitive than the others.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
They are, at times, reported on the Utility DXers Forum (UDXF) Yahoo group. A simple search on the messages will turn at least some of them up

73 Mike

elk2370bruce

As a former MARS member, I can tell you that frequencies are not allowed to be given out, you will have to hunt for them. Also if you have channel designators figured out, I'm sure MARS would appreciate if you kept those to yourself as well. Other than that, have fun listening!

John Morehead
KE5HOB
AAR6CY -US Army MARS Inactive

Oddly enough, my best sources of MARS information are active MARS members. This sort of information does not require a PhD from MIT to obtain. If a terrorist really wanted to do any REAL damage, he/she would not begin, nor end, the damage by going after the MARS program. Its too easy to inflict real damage to readily available and higher priority targets than waste time on any form of amateur radio support of homeland security. Paranoia Uber Alles anyone?

jhooten

MARS tends to be so full of themselves. They think if they don't give the freqs in the clear and use designators they can't be monitored. Like anyone with a SW receiver and a little time couldn't find them. Look just above and below the 80/40 ham bands and around the 60m channels for the most common ones .

lanbergld

I do know the MARS folks have a policy not to publish frequencies on their website. But, I don't think there's any gag order on hobbyists exchanging loggings. And its so true that their Tx's are easy to come by. Here, at this QTH and in the early evening, MARS nets are abundant on 91-meters and 74-meters -- especially Saturday & Sunday. And I enjoy listening to them, as I do Hams and other utility sources.

Larry Lanberg
Richmond VA

Realistic DX-400
Icom IC-R100
homemade antenna systems from various scraps, parts & wires

SCPD

QRT
Has anyone observed any actual HF frequency usage by the various branches of MARS (Army, Air Force, Navy/Marine Corps) recently? I know some may have frequencies in their notes and some may have channel designators. Let's share what we have and match them up.

This is the list I have, but I do not monitor them as much as GHFS. The 13927khz frequency is pretty active in the daytime. (Mon-Fri)

MARS
USN MARS Voice 14441 kHz
USN MARS FEC 4874 7383 7833
USN MARS PACKET 6775 6779 7683 7833 14352 14513 14532
USAF MARS Voice 13927 kHz

ridgescan

Just heard activity on 13927khz usb at 0205utc:)
Aircraft hauling 10,000lbs of fuel from Albequerque, phonepatch operator, and a base were heard.

Last edited:

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
The only thing verboten is the pairing of the frequency with the channel designator in the clear. Often times the frequency or designator is given over the air in the clear, just not together per the rules. Can you monitor often and put 2+2 together? Sure. It's not a 'secret' but it is technically classified as FOUO, which stands for "For Official Use only" and is only classified when the frequency and designator are used together.

I wouldn't go as far as to call someone 'full of themselves' just because they were given orders not to divulge said information. Following the rules is hardly reason for a verbal evisceration.

Careful listening will likely net you a few freq/designator combos. Does our 'enemy' have this already? Likely, but I am not a foreign spy so I cannot confirm. Why make the job easier for them? Collect your 'intel' and share it with your friends, but respect the wishes of your military and do not divulge this on an open forum. Post your freqs, but leave some of the fun to the other listeners, and let them decide if your published frequency is Army, Navy/MC, or Air Force MARS, and certainly do not post the designators.

--Former USAR MARS

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
13927 khz

Just heard activity on 13927 khz.
Said they would be on the air for the next few hours.

pathalogical

I heard some traffic on 13297 last evening local time. The two parties said a sentence each and then 'out'. But, checking my notes on this freq, I caught a seven minute recording in progress on 23-jun-12 at 0137z. A REACH flight phone patch to their wife/gf. Playing it back is kinda funny as the w/gf is not used to saying 'over' after each senctence; I love you, over ! You can hear her giggling, trying not to laugh much.

The base operator said he was in Ohio and his c/s sounded like AFA5KC.

wa4yur

MARS

MARS tends to be so full of themselves. They think if they don't give the freqs in the clear and use designators they can't be monitored. Like anyone with a SW receiver and a little time couldn't find them. Look just above and below the 80/40 ham bands and around the 60m channels for the most common ones .

As a former MARS member (AFA2MR) I can say that mars members are not full of it. They are just following orders just as any other member of the military would. In active duty or any other branch if the commanding officer gives an order you better follow it or you might be in serious trouble, you don't ask why you just do what your told. Guess you have never been in the military from your comment.

jhooten

As a former MARS member (AFA2MR) I can say that mars members are not full of it. They are just following orders just as any other member of the military would. In active duty or any other branch if the commanding officer gives an order you better follow it or you might be in serious trouble, you don't ask why you just do what your told. Guess you have never been in the military from your comment.

That comment is nearly 7 years old and was directed at the Army MARS Chief at the time who cherry picked the ACPs, taking statements out of context, to justify his mistakes. Blindly "Just following Orders" has never been an excuse for not doing what is right.

FYI, I was an Army MARS member for 20 years before the program lost its sense of purpose and started to try and make up missions to keep themselves relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.