FCC hf fishing boat freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm surprised there were any entries there. You may hear them on the HF marine channels, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they went out of band. Foreign fishing fleets are famous for this. Often they use illegally modified ham gear, which won't last anyway in a salt air environment. I've heard this myself, many times.

Of course, how accurate these listings are is quite another matter. Here is the official USCG listing of the HF marine frequencies

73 Mike

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Often they use illegally modified ham gear..."

What makes you think they'd bother when on a marine HF rig all they have to do is dial up the frequency? That's what makes these rugged, reliable (and expensive) rigs popular with hams who can afford them. For the not so well off yacht boy there is Icom.
IC-M700PRO SSB Radio Telephone - Features - Icom America

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
My point about using illegally modified ham gear applies to foreign fishing fleets, who have been known to buy ham rigs in the Far East grey markets and modifying them. I would bet it would be cheaper than buying a good marine transceiver, though I freely admit I haven't priced one of these lately. It was widely discussed in the old WUN before their latest incarnation as the UDXF, and also discussed a bit at the various Winterfest meetings, when the subject comes up. This has been known fact for ages. 73 Mike

Last edited:

k9rzz

Listening to a pair of fishing boats now on 4995khz USB. They have a Maine or Boston type accent are talking about being within sight of each other. Sigs. S5 here in WI.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Keep in mind those are 'official' allocations. Foreign fleets have been known to work practically anywhere in the HF spectrum they feel like it. It's almost impossible to categorize where they will show up, or when. 73 Mike

brandon

Database Admin
As other said, most of them are bootlegging, so they can show up anywhere. Many of them show up in and around the aero bands, or just above/below the maritime bands. Here are some frequencies/logs that I have recently heard used by fishermen.

2535.0 USB: Fishermen.
4330.0 USB: Fishermen.
4470.0 USB: Fishermen w/ conversation about fishing laws and regulations.
4567.0 USB: Casual chit chat. Possibly fishermen on Atlantic side.
5367.8 USB: OM fishermen with New York sounding accent and lots of cussing.
5424.0 USB: Fishermen. Australian accent.
5494.6 USB: Fishemen w/ XXX language. Used first names and no callsigns heard.
5540.0 USB: Fishermen w/ Sailorcrypt/Cry-2001 scrambling.
5555.5 LSB: Fishermen w/ discussion about problem with their satellite phone.
5656.0 USB: Possibly fishermen. Users had southern accents.
5701.0 USB: OM's with southern accent. Probably fishermen.
6215.0 USB: Fishermen w/ southern accents. Mentioned Louisiana. Most likely in Gulf of Mexico.
6230.0 USB: Fishermen. Casual chit chat and fishing related talk.
6516.0 USB: Shrimp fishermen in Gulf of Mexico.
6542.0 USB: Fishermen in the offshore waters Coos Bay, Oregon.
6631.1 USB: Fishermen. Alaska?
8299.0 LSB: Fishermen w/ XXX language at times.
8777.7 LSB: Fishermen talking about external hard drives and computer parts. Lots of f-bombs mixed into conversation. Located near Hawaii.
8810.0 LSB: Possible fishermen. Casual talk w/ lots of cussing. ALE heard after QSO finished.
8840.0 USB: Fishermen w/ southern accents. Uses lots of CB lingo.
8850.0 USB: Possible fishermen w/ casual chit chat in English. Signal was weak.
8888.0 LSB: OM with general chit chat and talked about fish.

Many use interesting frequency combos. For example, 11111.1 and 8888 kHz you may hear Spanish comms. On 6666 kHz or so I usually hear some oriental languages each night.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

AI6DX

I know this post is a bit old, but I thought I'd add my .02cents worth....

Yes, it's not "HF," but a few years ago when propagation was way up here in SoCal, we could hear Japanese fisherman between Japan and SoCal illegally using 6M USB radios in the amateur band. Two summers ago it seemed that some fisherman in Mexico were reportadly using 6M USB illegally too.

I was in Encinada Mexico 3 months ago and saw what looked like a stainless whip antenna about 54" (give or take) in length. I thought to myself, that would be a nice 6m 1/4wave vertical. Hmmmmm????? My curiosity got the best of me. I've heard that some Mexican taxi cabs used old amateur radios illegally so it made me want to peek inside of the cab. What did I see? Surprisingly I saw a Alinco 6m radio fitted into the dashboard. It was plain as day with the nice Alinco orange hue glow and big LCD with clear a clear frequency of 52.53 Mhz!!!! He was speaking spanish to what seemed to be a taxi cab dispatcher and he never identified a mexican amateur call sign! I watched him out in front of Senior Frog's cantina for about 10 minutes. I could hear on the radio the apparent taxi dispatcher talking to other taxi's in the area. (I speak spanish very well...). Go figure.

Last story..... about two years ago I saw on the discovery channel a group of mountain climbers on an expedition to either K2 or Mt. Everest (I don't exactly remember). Anyway, in plain sight, the base camp people were using FM amateur radios on 2M to talk to their parties up on the mountains. Nobody was using amateur call signs of any sort. Sure in foreign countries there are different laws regarding spectrum, but I'm pretty sure the governing bodies where those two mountains are in probably abide by the ITU, IARU and what not for amateur radio rules etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.