RTTY in the shortwave BC bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9rzz

I've searched the web with no answer, so I'll try here. There are a number of RTTY stations in the shortwave broadcast bands, but none louder than 9830khz. I've read reports of it causing interference but never any mention of where it was from. It sounds like a very wide split and it's S9 right now, 1900z, when stations in the middle east are peaking. So, I'm thinking eastern Europe, middle east, or perhaps Africa. It's on for HOURS at end, so a news agency perhaps?

Any info?

Edit: also 11,687khz, 12,015khz

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Do a google search and you'll find that a lot of others reported RTTY QRM on that frequency while trying to listen to Radio Croatia or Radio Jordan.

Who knows what it is... could be pirates or government.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not a news agency, for sure. They've been off HF for decades. My first guess would be military of some kind....73 Mike

Bill_White

According to my "old" copy of
"Ferrell's Confidential Frequency List"
9.500 - 9.900 is allocated to broadcasting with
9.775 - 9.900 being shared with fixed stations.

9.830 is, or at least at one time was, Offutt AFB, 75 baud - 850 shift.
I can't get Hoka to synchronize so,
I'm guessing it's encrypted.

k9rzz

Nebraska ! How do you like that!

Offutt Air Force Base - Units

Mission

Offutt Air Force Base hosts the 55th Wing. The wing's mission is to provide dominant intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance; electronic attack; command and control; and precision awareness to national leadership and warfighters across the spectrum of conflict any time, any place. One of the wing's units, the 55th Operations Group, operates 46 aircraft, including 13 models of seven different types.

Status
Not open for further replies.