Pacific DX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Had some good, late-night DX last night. I was trying to get any Russian MWARA comms but no luck there. The range from 6500-6700 was quite active however.

All USB unless otherwise noted...

~0830z

6507 - HF Marine - Wx broadcast from Melbourne, AUS (reference has this at only 1kw of power output)
6655 - MWARA North Pacific (several Japanese a/c taking off from Tokyo, talking to SanFran; could hear planes but not SanFran)
6666.7 - Mexican Army..? Several males, Spanish comms (very weak)
6676 - Sydney, AUS VOLMET
6679 - Honolulu VOLMET
8828 - Honolulu VOLMET

prcguy

I dialed up a remote HF radio on the south end of Oahu to your 8828 Honolulu freq and thought the receiver was going to blow out, geez that was a strong signal.
prcguy

Had some good, late-night DX last night. I was trying to get any Russian MWARA comms but no luck there. The range from 6500-6700 was quite active however.

All USB unless otherwise noted...

~0830z

6507 - HF Marine - Wx broadcast from Melbourne, AUS (reference has this at only 1kw of power output)
6655 - MWARA North Pacific (several Japanese a/c taking off from Tokyo, talking to SanFran; could hear planes but not SanFran)
6666.7 - Mexican Army..? Several males, Spanish comms (very weak)
6676 - Sydney, AUS VOLMET
6679 - Honolulu VOLMET
8828 - Honolulu VOLMET

SCPD

QRT
I dialed up a remote HF radio on the south end of Oahu to your 8828 Honolulu freq and thought the receiver was going to blow out, geez that was a strong signal.

Is this HF radio public? If so, can you please share it out. I'd love to be able to listen from that far in the Pacific.

Tonight is a bit more quiet but I'm getting Tokyo Radio on 6655khz @ 0915z. Coming in S9 too - quiet clear.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What you'll find most helpful is a "sun clock" bit of software. The map not only shows times around the world but day and night as well, daylight for higher frequencies, darkness for lower and grey line where anything goes. In this case choose your time so there is darkness between you and your target area and set your alarm clock.

kma371

QRT
prcguy

Do you have more info on this remote HF radio?

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
What you'll find most helpful is a "sun clock" bit of software. The map not only shows times around the world but day and night as well, daylight for higher frequencies, darkness for lower and grey line where anything goes. In this case choose your time so there is darkness between you and your target area and set your alarm clock.

I remember your screen shot several years ago. :)

Here's one I found recently. SunTimes Freeware download and review - geographical time calculator from SnapFiles

Satscape may come in handy too...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Let me see if I can clobber a couple of birds with one stone...

Re propagation tools - there's several out there, some free - including SunClock and the old standard, Geoclock - we have a few of these listed here...

HF Propagation - The RadioReference Wiki

Some of the more expensive radio control programs (and one or two free ones...) have a propagation tool built into them, but more on that in a moment...

As for remote receivers, again, our wiki has a couple...

GlobalTuners - On-line remotely controlled tuners

N2JEU's Web Controlled Shortwave Receivers

Shortwave log has both its own propagation tool and it's own server software. I would warn that, from talking to people that have installed it, it's not a trivial exercise - there's a lot to install - but it does a lot and it's FREE

Shortwave Log: Shortwave Logging Software

Such remotes are godsends to us cave dwellers :.>> 73 Mike

prcguy

It s a TenTec Omni VII transceiver which is a completely remote control over IP radio. Its connected to two antennas, a multiband HF vertical over an approx 100ft X 100ft copper ground plane and a 204ft double size G5RV flat top dipole at about 30ft high. The radio installation is within site of Hickam AFB and Pearl Harbor and is a private system.
prcguy

Do you have more info on this remote HF radio?

brandon

Database Admin
There used to be an online and controllable CR-91 receiver in Umea, Sweden and DXTuners had a receiver in Rommele, Sweden with something like 7 EWE antennas in various directions. Both were fantastic for listening to the exotic AFI and MID major world air route areas! Too bad they were taken offline. At least GlobalTuners is still around and have a few interesting sites to monitor.

Back to Russian ATC, around midnight 6692 started to pick up. I heard the usual Khabarovsk and reference to Magadan.

Status
Not open for further replies.