The "Brass Ring" of Utility Monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star56

Premium Subscriber
Guys,

Broadcast Dxers have debated for years what is/are the really prized catches are on the AM side of the radio.

I thought it would be interesting to see what you thought the real "Nobel Prize" of utility monitoring would be?

For me, when I was young, it was monitoring, in the clear of course, government folks. Listening to military ops was fun....but hearing POTUS or VPOTUS was the "Brass Ring" so to speak. As an 18 years old I actually dreamed of hearing a Pres from AF1. As I got older (I'm now 53), I abandoned old dreams and started digging into digital modes and rare catches on that side.

So what do you guys consider to be your real big snags? Did you record them?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Guys,

Broadcast Dxers have debated for years what is/are the really prized catches are on the AM side of the radio.

I thought it would be interesting to see what you thought the real "Nobel Prize" of utility monitoring would be?

For me, when I was young, it was monitoring, in the clear of course, government folks. Listening to military ops was fun....but hearing POTUS or VPOTUS was the "Brass Ring" so to speak. As an 18 years old I actually dreamed of hearing a Pres from AF1. As I got older (I'm now 53), I abandoned old dreams and started digging into digital modes and rare catches on that side.

So what do you guys consider to be your real big snags? Did you record them?

I have original audio from the STS challenger in 1986 about 1 hour before and after the disaster on cassette that I recorded originally on a sony RTR from a Yaesu FT 301D.
A few other newsworthy events on tape dating back to about 1979. I also have recordings from AF1/AF2 on Echo/Foxtrot in the clear on 415.700mhz. over downtown milwaukee wis.

N9ZAS

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Yep, when I got my Drake R-8 back in early 90s, I was listening to AF1 on those "F" channels. I think that was the old Mystic Star network.

A few of us were exchanging info over the internet trying to hunt down the unknown channels designators. I happened to catch a new one in the clear that night. Ever since, that was probably one of the single motivators for the SWL hobby.

Star56

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I have some recordings of kol Israel from the first Gulf War.

I have also "heard"about the infamous Jimmy Carter/Haiti/CNN thngy from the 90s. Probably the most infamous utility monitoring incident in the history of the hobby. One of the stupidest also.

Status
Not open for further replies.