Cuban number lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPD1

Semi related... I half noticed on TV somebody mentioning that the Russians have been sending out a lot of radio traffic lately? Not sure if they meat HF or what. I haven't found anything else about it. Seems like the Russians are getting back to their old games lately.

dd364

last week I heard what sounded like the russian military talking on 8.???Mhz.I think they where somewhere off the east coast where my anttena was pointed.And someone else on another recent post said he heard russians.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Russian "buzzer" station UVB-76 began talking last week. This has happened only three other times in its 15+ years of known existence. Coincidentally, less than two days after the format change NORAD fighter jets intercepted two Russian TU-95 bombers only 30 miles from Canadian soil.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned

DPD1

Maybe the Russians decided they miss the good old days.

zuul99

The Cuban lady is the only girl i can pick up ;) also if you listen 45min or so before the broadcast strange buzzes beeps and other things can be heard. It kind of sounds like a dial-up tones

Token

The Cuban lady is the only girl i can pick up ;) also if you listen 45min or so before the broadcast strange buzzes beeps and other things can be heard. It kind of sounds like a dial-up tones

What you are describing might be Cuban digital numbers station SK01. It uses some of the same frequencies as V02 (the Cuban Lady you are probably, but not certainly, talking about) and kind of sounds like a dial-up modem. Since it uses some of the same frequencies it would not be impossible that one hour might be SK01 and the next hour might be V02, all on the same freq.

You appear to be new to the short wave hobby, and numbers/oddities stations, so I have a couple of suggestions that might help you.

"Cuban Lady" is generally taken to mean the Spanish language numbers station V02 broadcasting out of Cuba. However, there are more than one numbers station using a Spanish female voice. So learning the structure of specific numbers stations so that you can ID them might be a good idea. Numbers stations have been given IDs to help differentiate them in discussion, saying just “Spanish numbers” can be several stations, saying “V02a” is understood to be one specific station. Sources to help with IDing numbers stations can be found at ENIGMA2000 (look specifically at examples and the ECL, or Enigma Control List), at Numbers stations home page (examples, recordings, and profiles), and at Priyom.org - Priyom.org . For example, my assumption above, that you are hearing SK01 because it uses some of the same frequencies as V02, assumes your Cuban Lady is V02 and not say V07. If you are really hearing V07 and calling it the Cuban Lady then the tones you are hearing are probably NOT SK01.

Example of V02a here Numbers Station, Spanish, V2a, December 20, 2008, 17435 kHz AM - YouTube
Example of SK01 here Numbers Station SK01 Sep 2, 0523z - YouTube
Example of V07 here Numbers Station, Spanish, V07, May 15, 2011, 0520 UTC, 12182 kHz USB - YouTube

Whenever you mention a station or reception make sure to also give the frequency (in kHz is the most recognized format for HF/SW). Different stations use different frequencies, some use only one frequency and so the frequency might possibly be an immediate identifier. In the above examples, V07 and V02, they have no frequencies in common so a frequency would help to firm up the ID.

Note the mode of reception, some stations use specific modes only, again, in the examples above V07 is often in USB (for the past couple years always in USB), and V02 is almost always in AM (but sometimes in LSB). Be sure to check the mode when you receive the station, don’t just assume whatever you heard it in first is the answer, keep in mind that a full AM station can be received in both LSB and USB, but a USB or LSB station generally cannot be received in AM. To make matters worse some stations use suppressed carrier, say reducing the lower sideband, and such a station could be received in both USB and AM, but not in LSB.

Note the time and date in UTC/GMT/Zulu (most logs are also kept in Zulu). Some stations transmit on specific days and not on others, some stations transmit only during specific time windows, both of these can help in ID. Time should be given in UTC/Zulu/GMT, this is pretty much universal for radio related reporting. The date, again, should be in UTC/Zulu/GMT. Why UTC/Zulu/GMT for date and time? Because it never changes, say with daylight savings time or similar, and it is the same for everyone. You are in AZ, and do you expect a person in Germany, who might have the answer you are looking for, to know what your time offset is from Zulu? Should he have to keep track of when the US goes to daylight savings and what states do not shift time? If you report Zulu he knows his relationship to Zulu already.

So, freq/mode/time/date, should be the desired data set when talking about any station you hear. The more complete that data set the better.

Hope this helps.

T!

Last edited:

zuul99

Your assumption is correct i am VERY new to this hobby. The station i pick up is on 5898khz AM and its very strong, so which one is that. thank you for the information, I have so many questions about this hobby.

Token

Your assumption is correct i am VERY new to this hobby. The station i pick up is on 5898khz AM and its very strong, so which one is that. thank you for the information, I have so many questions about this hobby.

5898 kHz is a frequency that the Cuban station V02 uses several days a week in the 0500 and 0800 time slots. It also is used at other times, but those two are the most active times it can be heard on that frequency.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.