11175 KHz USB US Air Force GHFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

I cannot tell you how many times I will be on 11175khz and I hear an aircraft calling mainsail for a radio check and nobody answers. It is happening now, I hear a "80 quebec 121" putting out his 7th call for a radio check-and Offut finally answered him. Don't laugh-but it makes me wish I had a number to call to tell ground that someones trying to engage them:D or at least have the power to tell the guy I can hear him here!
Also I notice Andrews is keying up a dead carrier for almost a minute before they begin speaking-maybe building up the plates? You can hear that "chatter" sound of the amplifiers.

ridgescan

LOL again-RomeoAlpha 514 on his 4th call for a radio check-Offut IS answering him-but he cannot hear them:D good thing I have a full head of hair!

SCPD

QRT
Jimepage: It depends on a lot of factors Conditions, Antenna & Radio if you have all 3 of these than your good to go. Park your radio on 11.175 and flick the switch to USB and wait like your going fishing, You will hear stuff like this.

20110225 223054Z 11175kHz USB by mikexeno on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Then go here for more info about the above
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/USAF_High_Frequency_Global_Communications_System

Ridge: Sorry if i jacked your thread

SCPD

QRT
Thats the number to the base commander at andrews airforce base. Ridge call em and ask them what are all the letters and numbers on 11175 :) put it on youtube if you do it.

ridgescan

Mike I feel funny about calling there:D I don't want to bug them-I think you oughta take that # down
They don't need our help-I was just venting about hearing the guys up there not getting through.

CalebATC

Thats the number to the base commander at andrews airforce base. Ridge call em and ask them what are all the letters and numbers on 11175 :) put it on youtube if you do it.

Haha, that'd be great. I'm sure they would just tell you it's classified, have a great day sir, and bye-bye.

SCPD

QRT
I know. I was just going along with it. Just a little rooo ha ha :) Im not serious about you calling. I will call them :)

ridgescan

Token is it true when I hear Andrews I am hearing a relay closer to California-and if so-do you have any idea where said relay(s) are located? I personally feel if I can hear New York Radio and New York ATCs here-why wouldn't it be possible to get Andrews proper also? Thanks

Token

Token is it true when I hear Andrews I am hearing a relay closer to California-and if so-do you have any idea where said relay(s) are located? I personally feel if I can hear New York Radio and New York ATCs here-why wouldn't it be possible to get Andrews proper also? Thanks

Ridgescan, as far as I know there is no way to tell for sure what transmitter site you are actually hearing, although there are indicators. Andrews has the ability to use any or all of the transmitter sites, but as far as I know they generally use the local Andrews site or occasionally the Offut NE site except during EAMs, then they often use all of the sites.

So, the majority of the time you are most likely hearing Andrews direct.

oops I forgot to type in to Andrews,, What are you the forum police?

Why would you think I was the forum police? I asked merely to get a feeling for if you had an understanding of how the HF-GCS network operates. By which I mean it is possible for a transmission to be sent , for example, from “West Coast Global” (the old McClellan AFB, Sacramento, CA) and still use the callsign of “Andrews”. All HF-GCS transmitter sites Worldwide can be remotely controlled by “Andrews”.

As I said above to ridgescan, in general, except for EAMs, when you hear “Andrews” you are hearing direct from Andrews. However, I have seen Andrews use both the Offut and the West Coast Global transmitters (same voice, same “Andrews” call sign, but preceded by the digital link audio tones and different transmitter as determined by TX characteristics, matched to Offut and West Coast Global), and I assume (and open source documentation supports) they can use any of them around the World just like that. During Andrews originated EAMs multiple transmitters are almost always selected, sometimes all of them in the network. EAMs that originate from other sources may or may not use multiple transmitters, depending on the source.

T!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.