Mystery 22819 kHz signal, what is it? A thread of inquiry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

Howdy all.

There is a signal on 22819 kHz USB, and several associated signals and freqs, that has raised a few questions in a few different forums around the nets of late. I thought I would start a thread to work towards finding an answer.

I do not know what the signal is or where it is from, although I have a few ideas. It is easier to say what the signal is not than what it is. The purpose of this thread is to expose people to the signal and its existence, and see if participants can come up with supportable ideas on the source and usage of the signal. On the web I have seen suggestions of everything from experimental data modes and HAARP to aliens calling Sheldon home. I suppose anything is fair game if you can justify / support the suggestion. I would prefer to see no WAGs, but hey, it is bound to happen ;)

Recently the signal has been a sweeping sound when you tune to 22819 kHz in the USB mode. The swept width of the audio is about 2000 Hz, when tuned to 22819 the audio is roughly from 500 Hz to 2500 Hz. Since the real purpose of the signal is unknown I suppose it could just as well be 22822 kHz LSB. The center of the audio bandwidth is roughly 22820.5 kHz. I will refer to it as if tuned to 22819 kHz in USB.

The signal is normally on the air before 1300 UTC, and off about 2000 UTC, daily. That start time is suspect and might be a function of when propagation opens up for me. The stop time is fairly firm, I often see it leave the air, not fade out. It has worked outside those times, but those are its most common.

Recently the signal has most commonly swept up in frequency. In the past other waveforms were often seen. I have been watching this signal off and on since early 2012.

In the US the frequency is licensed to several stations, notably WPG and WLO.

To get the discussion started, and for people who have never heard it or are in a location that does not receive it, I have put up a Youtube video of it here: Oddity Station, Unknown purpose, multiple waveforms, 22819 kHz, USB, multiple dates - YouTube

The first 45 seconds of that video are of the signal as it is seen most often today. The rest of the video samples modes it has used in the past. At one point in the video I show the frequency occupied by the “drifty MFSK”, or the “Snake Charmer Flute” as Hugh Stegman called it in his article in the August 2013 Monitoring Times.

Video centered on the Drifty MFSK can be found here: Oddity station, Unknown, multiple waveforms and frequencies, 14756, 16926.5, 17299 kHz, Sep 15, 2013 - YouTube

It is important to note, the swept signal and the drifty MFSK are somehow connected. As the video of the swept signal shows the drifty MFSK has been on the same freq, but also the swept signal has been seen at one time or another on almost all of the frequencies the drifty MFSK has been seen on. Most commonly the swept signal is on 22819 kHz and the drifty MFSK on the others.

I guess the drifty MFSK might be a subject for this thread also ;)

Frequencies that have supported the drifty MFSK and the swept signal:

14756 kHz
16913.5 kHz
16926.5 kHz
16929 kHz
16986.5 kHz
17299 kHz
17383 kHz
19281.5 kHz
19776 kHz
22483.5 kHz
22819 kHz

Frequencies that have supported a very similar but not quite same signal:

22753 kHz
26151 kHz

Let the speculation begin.

T!

(edit) Sorry, I did not think about the faux pas of starting a second thread when one was already one active on the subject, I was trying to not hijack that thread.

Last edited:

Token

I will start with what it is not.

It is probably not a sounder (ionosonde). The waveform used would be of little use as a sounder and it never steps frequency as sounders do. It would be a sounder for one frequency only, using a waveform that was poorly suited to the task.

It is probably not a radar (I would say it is definitely not a radar, but there is that ever so slim possibility someone built one like this, despite its monumental shortcomings). The waveform used, because it is stepped and not swept, would have huge blind zones. The waveform has no advantages over a simple pulsed radar (you could look at each of the 32 stepped tones as a discrete pulsed radar), and would require an unnecessarily heavy duty, high average power, transmitter, since it is in affect CW.

T!

majoco

Stirrer
I hear it on 22819kHz, "S"0, 1940z 0840local - slight fading - I'll wait until 2000z to see if it stops. Not very exciting to listen to! Must have some grunt to propogate from the West Coast - it'll be midday there, wont' it? Assuming that it comes from the US of course.....

....just stopped dead at 2058 and 50seconds z.

Last edited:

Token

I hear it on 22819kHz, "S"0, 1940z 0840local - slight fading - I'll wait until 2000z to see if it stops. Not very exciting to listen to! Must have some grunt to propogate from the West Coast - it'll be midday there, wont' it? Assuming that it comes from the US of course.....

....just stopped dead at 2058 and 50seconds z.

The signal is not from the west coast of the US. It is from someplace east of me. I am not saying it is from them, but both WLO and WPG (both licensed users of ths frequency) are east of me, one in Alabama and the other in Indiana.

T!

(edit) Sorry, I did not think about the faux pas of starting a second thread when one was already one active on the subject, I was trying to not hijack that thread.[/QUOTE]

DAMN First Thread/Post on this site and Hijacked already. Must be a good subject.

Token

DAMN First Thread/Post on this site and Hijacked already. Must be a good subject.

No, I was trying not to hijack your thread, that is why I started this thread, there is no telling where this one could go (or maybe no place at all). However, in so doing I had a Homer moment and did not think about the fact I was starting a second thread on something that was already in use. DOH!

T!

22.819 active at 1500Hrs. UTC 22Oct13. Do not know when it started. Signal is strong again S +20. Very steady strength. BUT, not the same transmission type. My location again, Gwinn MI. 17 miles south of Lake Superior.

It's 1703Hrs. UTC 22Oct13. Signal on 22.819Mhz is still on but not as steady, S2 to S+20. Almost sounds like Hellschreiber or Feldhellschreiber but it is not.

majoco

Stirrer
Agreed. Very quiet this morning at 0800local, 1900z, only just audible. Different signal, a series of tones.

Token

In the video I posted at the beginning of this thread, and in my description, I said that sometimes the sweeper is not there but instead another waveform, and one of the "other" waveforms seen is a "drifty MFSK" (this is the signal Hugh Stegman called the Snake Charmer Flute in his August 2013 Monitoring Times piece). Most often (daily) you see the drifty MFSK on other frequencies, any of the ones I listed, often on multiple frequencies at one time, sometimes all in sync, other times individual.

Here is the video again, go to 3:00 into it and see if this is the tones you are hearing:
Oddity Station, Unknown purpose, multiple waveforms, 22819 kHz, USB, multiple dates - YouTube

The other video I posted at the beginning of this threead looks at these tones in greater detail.

T!

Yes, these are the tones I am hearing all day today.Tones seem to not change as quick, hang longer. It is 1925Hrs. UTC of 22Oct13. The sgnal here is mostly S+20 with a dip to S2 sometimes. Again using only a random end feed indoor antenna.

Token

In the US the frequency is licensed to several stations, notably WPG and WLO

Change here, it has been pointed out to me that only WLO is licensed for this specific frequency in the US. Bearing cuts form myself and at least one other strongly support inside the US as a source. This makes WLO the front runner, assuming this is licensed operation and not something else like military or pirate.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.