Are 5696 and 8983 going by the way side

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk3997

Been monitoring these frequencies for years.Seems they are heard less and less.Some posts around the web suggests a movement to cothen and other nets more and more.Are these old search and rescue standbys also transitioning to satcom protocols like over water commercial aircraft...

n0nhp

I still hear some traffic on them, however most of the standard flight ops and routine traffic is on the COTHEN network. That can be a bit harder to follow but I will usually set up the IC7000 with PC-ALE and it does a pretty good job. It is interesting that they still switch to voice for "flight ops normal" type traffic that ALE could deliver digitally but that keeps a bit of spice on the HF spectrum I guess.
Just one more sign of the times, digital, satcom and modern modes take over from the old standby we have grown accustomed to.

ridgescan

This should be in the Utilities forum.
+1 on the subject. I was thinking about taking them out of my presets because they're so sparse.

mjk3997

My apologies,thank you for moving this to the Utility Listening discussion.I do see I'm not the only one who has noticed less traffic on these Coast Gaurd frequencies.I have been monitoring for 50yrs now and things are becoming a little disheartening.I do enjoy ALE,At times its amazing watching the activity flow across your screen.Requires gobs of reference material to make since of it all.But depending on the net it it offers worldwide reception often.Very little analog traffic on the freqs however.One saving grace however is MACS (Canadian)..Some interesting situations can still be found up there 6.706 has been in use lately

Status
Not open for further replies.