Is this really coming from a different frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

I'm picking up something at 102 kHz A.M. The signal is so faint, that I can't pick up much, but it is clearly spoken English and I think it is a one way conversation, or perhaps a talk show.

My best guess is that it is some sort of a radio broadcast, but I didn't think these started that low. Is it possible that this is actually being broadcast at a different frequency, but some quirk of my radio (AOR 8200 MK3) picks this up at 102 kHz?

Also, does anybody have a clue what this is?

You can check out a clip here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-437184959/102a

Thanks

Last edited:

Boombox

Like zz0468 said, it's probably overload from a local AM station.

One of my Longwave radios gets that. If a radio has a really sensitive front end, and you don't have some sort of antenna tuner / tuned LW antenna / preselector etc., it can happen.

A simple antenna tuner reduced the AM station QRM on my LW radio that has this issue. Also, using a LW tuned loop eliminated it also.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like an intermod. When two radio signals mix, they produce a sum and a difference frequency. In my area we have a strong AM station at 1290 Khz and at 990 Khz. The transmitter sites are both within a few miles of each other.

The sum is 1290 + 990 = 2280 Khz
The difference is 1290 - 990 = 300 Khz

I don't care about the intermod at 2280, but I listen to NDB signals and I hear the 300 Khz signal on my receiver. I built and installed a low pass filter which blocks a lot of the broadcast band and above. This eliminated the intermod. 500kHz Low Pass Filter

In the video below, you can first see the signal at 300 Khz before the filter is installed and then you can see the signal eliminated by the filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnQEzxYYJmw

Status
Not open for further replies.