never done utility monitoring sick of swl bcb

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfflunki

hi
i was into aircraft ,acars,and swl bcb for a long time
i found a rs 394dx in the box .ive set up a loop that wraps my ceiling.i cant get outdoors .but would like to either focus on utillitys or mw .if someone could please give me insight.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
HFFlunki the premier place to get exposed to utilities is the UDXF group at groups.io. In addition they have an extensive website (link below) with a ton of information. What's your pleasure? You'' likely find something here

UDXF - Utility DXers Forum

Mike

hfflunki

thanks, I joined udxf . I’m right on Lake Michigan in Muskegon area.
My grid square is en73.i have multipsk pro and all the black cat systems decoders for ipad . I would like to do somthing marine or aero related
Thanks for the help
Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Try these links on for size - that last one is as complete an Aero listing as I have ever seen...

Testing Your New Setup - The RadioReference Wiki

HF Aeronautical Communications - The RadioReference Wiki

The Btown Monitoring Post: Civilian Aero/Military HF Frequency List - Update 11 Aug 2017

And don't forget that you can use the remote receivers all over the world to try for something you ordinarily can't hear. We have links for those here...

Live Tunable Receivers - The RadioReference Wiki

Finally the UDXF publishes their logs and keeps them on the groups.io site. You can use a utility (you can find that on their website) that I'm told is a handy search tool.

Mike

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
HFFlunki, since you are in Muskegon, I am attaching a link for Boatnerds, Great Lakes and Seaway Shipping - BoatNerd.Com the freighter following group here on the Great Lakes that you may or may not be aware of . Years ago HF was big on the Great Lakes but not as much anymore. They have a frequency listed on their site (somewhere) that includes HF freqs. You can also use the VHF marine band as well. Also, I might note that there is a fair number of Military fights that pass across Lake Michigan that can be monitored on VHF/UHF frequencies as well from a scanner. There are two MOAs over Lake Michigan (640A & 640B) that have air refueling occuring from time to time. Usually this occurs when there is training occurring at Camp Douglas/Volk Field in WI.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Also check The Spectrum Monitor Magazine, it has columns on subjects such as Ute monitoring.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just to answer the question in case we have newcomers see that - the best way to describe a ute (or utility) station is to use negative logic. Anything that is not broadcast, ham or CB can be thought of as a ute station. This includes aviation, military, NGOs, broadcast feeders and many more topics

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.