RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > Utility Listening

Utility Listening - Discussions regarding monitoring government, military, aircraft, ship, and other misc communications in the HF/MW/LF bands.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 2:14 PM

Default ShipCom litigaiton possible reasons for WLO going dark?

Apparently, ShipCom, LLC has ongoing litigation problems related to their management/ownership changes a few years ago, and from the way the filings read it was (no pun intended) a bloody shipwreck.

The latest filing in the fracas is a motion for summary judgement for their insurance company, Scottsdale, which grants them immunity from covering financial losses incurred during the apparent management hijacking (the bloody shipwreck) a few years ago, which is the subject of also on-going litigation in Alabama - effectively dealing a blow to their status as an ongoing concern.

Motion: https://www.dandodiary.com/wp-conten...ct-of-ohio.pdf

My assessment of the situation, from what I have read, is that their management went out on a limb for a lucrative business venture that would have been fantastic, but made some bad decisions along the way and some bad actors took advantage of the situation like some sort of southern-fried Carl Icahn-esque board-room raid.

Hostile takeover, sell the valuables, conglomerate what's left, and spin it off to oblivion - to hell with the damage left in its wake.

Makes me feel even more sad if it's true, honestly. :/
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2018, 2:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Should,nt this Thread have been Incorperated to the WLO Thread that was Running Here (Link Below) ??? Since this is About WLO and a Continuation on the Findings and Story

https://forums.radioreference.com/sh...ml#post2962365
Old 07-08-2018, 4:01 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Nah, this may or may not have to do with the shutdown. It's quite possible but purely speculative. Until something definite comes along, let's keep them apart. I don't want to add speculation to a de-facto thread. Mike

Last edited by ka3jjz; 07-08-2018 at 4:07 PM..
Old 07-08-2018, 4:57 PM

I doubt that this filing is necessarily the reason, but it does give insight on factors that may be influencing the decisions behind it.

One thing to keep in mind is the motion I mentioned and linked to was for litigation filed in the US District Court, and not the on-going litigation in Alabama - the decision rendered by the Federal judge of that court was simply to resolve the question of ShipCom's insurance carrier covering losses related to the matter being litigated in Alabama.