Montpelier PD gone Digital??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

I haven't heard the Montpelier PD for about a week now on frequency: 460.0500 Tone 118.8Hz.

Wondering if anyone has heard if they've switched to digital?

Something must be going on........

Blackink

I have more questions:

1) Can an analog and a digital transmission be on the same frequency?

2) How would I find out more info on the digital system MPD is using?

Thanks............

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
To answer your question #1, yes they can, but not at the same time. But some units can be digital and some analog. If programmed for that, the radios will receive both (called mixed mode).

Try programming your scanner for the same frequency but no tone (carrier squelch). If you hear 1-5 second transmissions of "noise", that is probably them in digital mode.
If digital they could be encrypted too. Only way to know (besides a post from someone who already knows) would be a digital scanner or something like DSD (software). If they are encrypted, you won't be able to listen.

Blackink

To answer your question #1, yes they can, but not at the same time. But some units can be digital and some analog. If programmed for that, the radios will receive both (called mixed mode).

Try programming your scanner for the same frequency but no tone (carrier squelch). If you hear 1-5 second transmissions of "noise", that is probably them in digital mode.
If digital they could be encrypted too. Only way to know (besides a post from someone who already knows) would be a digital scanner or something like DSD (software). If they are encrypted, you won't be able to listen.

ecps92 mentioned Dual-Mode (mixed mode) so you both are probably correct there.

I'd be surprised if they were encrypted (and I hope NOT!).

I'll try the no tone (carrier squelch) and listen....

Thanks for the help.....

Blackink

Well, I no sooner set my CTCSS/DCS to OFF on Frequency 460.0500 and started getting what sounds like static/buzzing for about 3-5 seconds.

The amount of times that I'm hearing this sound would be comparable to if they were talking on their radios. Sometimes it's every couple of minutes, sometimes I don't hear anything for a few minutes and then when I do hear it, it can last for what seems like the length they would be talking on the radio: 2 seconds to 30 seconds, average time seems to be about 3-5 seconds.

Does that sound like it's a digital frequency to you?
If so, how would I find out if it's Phase I, Phase II, or Encrypted?

Last edited:

ecps92

Phase II is for a trunked system only.

The only way to note ENC is to listen

Depending on make/model, some scanners skip over ENC P25

Well, I no sooner set my CTCSS/DCS to OFF on Frequency 460.0500 and started getting what sounds like static/buzzing for about 3-5 seconds.

The amount of times that I'm hearing this sound would be comparable to if they were talking on their radios. Sometimes it's every couple of minutes, sometimes I don't hear anything for a few minutes and then when I do hear it, it can last for what seems like the length they would be talking on the radio: 2 seconds to 30 seconds, average time seems to be about 3-5 seconds.

Does that sound like it's a digital frequency to you?
If so, how would I find out if it's Phase I, Phase II, or Encrypted?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
The easiest way is to buy a digital scanner :)
If you want to experiment, read up on DSD / DSDPlus as a cheaper (but less portable) method.

Blackink

So when I buy a digital scanner and program in the Montpelier PD on frequency 460.0500, which seems to be the frequency they are transmitting on, would I put the tone on "SEARCH" to find out what tone they are using?

I wouldn't think they would be transmitting on that frequency using the same tone they were using before while on Analog: 118.8Hz, correct?

ecps92

A Digital Scanner would be programmed for Tone Search and Auto for the mode, it will generally then display the PL/DPL if on Analog and the NAC if on P25

Leaving it in Automode will also allow you to hear them when/if they use Analog PL

So when I buy a digital scanner and program in the Montpelier PD on frequency 460.0500, which seems to be the frequency they are transmitting on, would I put the tone on "SEARCH" to find out what tone they are using?

I wouldn't think they would be transmitting on that frequency using the same tone they were using before while on Analog: 118.8Hz, correct?

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber

Well it's a NAC search, not a tone search. NAC is used for P25 and is just some data bits in the P25 data stream. Same operational concept as a tone, but it's technically very different.

But you are correct, they would not have a 118.8 tone on digital (they would be no "tone" for digital, but there would be a NAC).

Blackink

A Digital Scanner would be programmed for Tone Search and Auto for the mode, it will generally then display the PL/DPL if on Analog and the NAC if on P25

Leaving it in Automode will also allow you to hear them when/if they use Analog PL

Thanks.....

Blackink

Well it's a NAC search, not a tone search. NAC is used for P25 and is just some data bits in the P25 data stream. Same operational concept as a tone, but it's technically very different.

But you are correct, they would not have a 118.8 tone on digital (they would be no "tone" for digital, but there would be a NAC).

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated!!

jimlawrence

You're welcome, Steve.

Let us know if you get a NAC for them, please.

I'm also wondering if Barre City PD has gone P-25, too? Do you listen to them, Steve?

Status
Not open for further replies.