VSP - Royalton New Frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

numarkdj86

While driving to work today (7/10/18 about 12:10 PM I heard on my scanner "All Royalton radio users . Our radios will be down for approximately one hour. When it comes back we will be using the new Royalton..." then the signal was static before he finished.

I'm guessing they went digital or encrypted digital. They may even be on an entire different frequency than 460.02500

I had my BCD436HP recording all day and haven't gotten a single hit from Royalton or any close calls from unknown frequencies. I am very new to scanning so may not have it set up right but I was able to pick up Woodstock's new P25 NAC code of 457 on 460.1000 (they still use their analog with ctscc as well) and Hartford's P25 NAC of 649 on channel 453.9000 which is registered to the town of hartford but not listed on Radio Reference. RR lists hartford as 460.25000 NAC295 which I've never heard so much as a squelch from on 295, auto, digital search, or analog search.

Maybe I bought the wrong radio, or Vermont is in the process of totally overhauling their systems to digital one by one. I'm going to plug into Sentenel and try updating to see if that finds anything new and also try listening to the archive to see if i can catch what was said in the rest of the call from earlier today.

numarkdj86

New frequencies

I guess they did switch to new frequencies today. I found this on Radio Technology Services on Vermont.gov

ROYALTON CHANNEL CHANGES
When: JULY 10, 2018 - channel changes should be pre-installed prior to change

Please take note that the Royalton Vermont State Police radio system channels will change on JULY 10, 2018. The system is being upgraded to provide consistent coverage throughout the region using a multi-cast design that will transmit and receive using three sites. The multi-cast system will require mobile users to determine the best mobile receive coverage for their current location and make adjustments as they move throughout the region. The three channels for the system are completely different from the original Royalton VSP channel so all users must have their radios updated.

Below are the new channels:

Royalton Russ Hill Mobile Tx 458.3625 PL 156.7 Mobile Rx 453.3625 PL 156.7
Royalton Killington Mobile Tx 458.3625 PL 156.7 Mobile Rx 453.7500 PL 156.7
Royalton Ascutney Mobile Tx 458.3625 PL 156.7 Mobile Rx 453.1625 PL 156.7
WHY YOU SHOULD TAKE NOTE OF THIS:

The upgrade will take place on a single day -- JULY 10, 2018. Once the upgrade is complete, you will not be able to communicate with any dispatch center on the original channels. The original frequencies will no longer work. Please contact your radio service provider to update your radio programming. Your provider can pre-install the new Royalton frequencies into your mobile and portable units prior to the change so that you will be ready to use the upgraded system once the switchover is made.

News and Issues | Radio Technology Services

I finally (It's 1:40 am so not a lot going on I'm sure) got a hit on the Russ Hill channel which is close to where I live, but the reception was awful; Maybe I'll have better luck in the morning.

ecps92

Seems VT has added some other UHF 453/460 in the other regions as well to get a nice well covered Multi-Cast

I guess they did switch to new frequencies today. I found this on Radio Technology Services on Vermont.gov

ROYALTON CHANNEL CHANGES
When: JULY 10, 2018 - channel changes should be pre-installed prior to change

Please take note that the Royalton Vermont State Police radio system channels will change on JULY 10, 2018. The system is being upgraded to provide consistent coverage throughout the region using a multi-cast design that will transmit and receive using three sites. The multi-cast system will require mobile users to determine the best mobile receive coverage for their current location and make adjustments as they move throughout the region. The three channels for the system are completely different from the original Royalton VSP channel so all users must have their radios updated.

Below are the new channels:

Royalton Russ Hill Mobile Tx 458.3625 PL 156.7 Mobile Rx 453.3625 PL 156.7
Royalton Killington Mobile Tx 458.3625 PL 156.7 Mobile Rx 453.7500 PL 156.7
Royalton Ascutney Mobile Tx 458.3625 PL 156.7 Mobile Rx 453.1625 PL 156.7
WHY YOU SHOULD TAKE NOTE OF THIS:

The upgrade will take place on a single day -- JULY 10, 2018. Once the upgrade is complete, you will not be able to communicate with any dispatch center on the original channels. The original frequencies will no longer work. Please contact your radio service provider to update your radio programming. Your provider can pre-install the new Royalton frequencies into your mobile and portable units prior to the change so that you will be ready to use the upgraded system once the switchover is made.

News and Issues | Radio Technology Services

I finally (It's 1:40 am so not a lot going on I'm sure) got a hit on the Russ Hill channel which is close to where I live, but the reception was awful; Maybe I'll have better luck in the morning.

zuzuski

From the "News and Issues" Link

Please note that the Royalton Vermont State Police radio system channels was changed on JULY 10, 2018. The change is part of a system upgrade to provide consistent coverage throughout the region using a multi-cast design that will transmit and receive using three sites.

** The multi-cast system will require mobile users to determine the best mobile receive coverage for their current location and make adjustments as they move throughout the region. **

The three channels for the system are completely different from the original Royalton VSP channel so all users must have their radios updated.

- - - All that work and you still have to chase channels?

WQZV772

I was wondering what happened to my Royalton station. all of a sudden went quiet last month. I kept meaning to come here to check it out but never remembered to. I live on Russ Hill so makes my decision easy.

12dbsinad

- - - All that work and you still have to chase channels?

I really wouldn't call it "chasing channels". The system is voted, which means low power handhelds can get into the system even on a different site than what the handheld is receiving. The end user can control the reception on their end, but talk in is always to the best possible signal strength site. The other advantage is everyone in their selective territory hears all traffic, even if you're out of range of the site in use.

For a state like Vermont, it actually is a cost effective solution and solves a lot of problems.

MB

Feed Provider
I really wouldn't call it "chasing channels". The system is voted, which means low power handhelds can get into the system even on a different site than what the handheld is receiving. The end user can control the reception on their end, but talk in is always to the best possible signal strength site. The other advantage is everyone in their selective territory hears all traffic, even if you're out of range of the site in use.

For a state like Vermont, it actually is a cost effective solution and solves a lot of problems.

Essex County NY also has a multicast system. Their radios have the vote scan option and automatically pick the best site to receive from. Seems to be working well for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.