• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodStrong

Own and still use FTL mobiles, and use a VX-3200 every day. Used a VX-500 for several years.

bearcat_101

I have the VX-180, Vx-354, and my fav the Vertex VX-900 also for base station use i have the FTL-2011, All of these units have excellent receive and loud audio. The 180 and vx-354 i have set up for All-call tone outs and work very well.
I was interested to see opinions on any users of the VX-824 and 829 models on how well they perform.

Thanks!

James04TJ

In the past I used a VX-3200, VX-10's, and also a VXR-7000. No complaints about any of them.

renze8173

Premium Subscriber
I Swapped Out The Motorola Cm300 In My Truck For A Vx-2200 Just For Kicks. Wow, I Like It Much Better Than The Cm300 BecAuse Of The Price, Loudness Of The Audio, And 128 Channels Vs. 32. Also More User- Friendly. And The Programming Software Is Much Cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

mm

I have 3 FTL-X011's one 4 channel FTL-1011 converted to 6 meters with a front panel programmable control head and 2 of the 99 channel FTL-2011's converted to 220 MHz.

Good radios especially price wise.

khubbard

I have a vx180 vhf, vx427 uhf, vx160 uhf, and vx427 uhf ltr. I used to have a vx6000 vhf and vx4000 uhf setup for dual band but sold it. I also use a vx6000 vhf as a base radio for dispatching trucks everyday

cdesigns

I bought (3) VX 3200 and (1) VX10 they should be here any day, I will post if they are good or not

Also does anyone know if I can use (2) VX 3200 and convert them as a repeater?

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking hard at a new VX4207 series, so I might be a Vertex owner soon. Also looking hard at the HYT TM-800. They are both a lot of radio for the money.

DiGiTaLD

I have a VX-180 UHF that I use daily for work. The only thing I don't like about it is how the batteries tend to die on it. More often than not, it will just stop transmitting without ever giving you a low battery indication while receiving. Sometimes it will flash the red light at me for a while before it dies, but usually it doesn't. I always have an extra battery, so its not that big of a deal, but a little advance warning would be nice.

Otherwise, great radio.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have a couple VX-10 VHF and a couple VX-10 UHF and a VXA-100 (aircraft). I also have a couple FT-50 amateur dual-band radios. It's handy being able to use the same battery packs, speaker mics, and other accessories on all of these radios.

mm

FINEshot1, the 220 conversion is still in the document stage.

The converted radio is being used by it's owner but I should have it back for a week to take some pictures.

Or the same guy may give me a second FTL to convert and then I can take some good pictures of this conversion, step by step, which is something that I didn't do with the first radio.

I did a similar conversion a few years back for the MT1000 low band to 6 meter ham and the pictures and documentation should be similar to that project, the only difference is that the FTL will have more pictures and documentation related to converting the transmitter and receiver, both which required some work.

The hardest part, like my MT1000 documentation was removing the VCO but even this is not so bad once you get by removing it from the radio and from its sub case.

All in all it's a nice conversion, the original FTL-2011 transmitter stage produces 24 watts on 220 with only some capacitor changes.

The receiver does around .28 uv for 12dB sinad with some core changes from ferrite to brass in the pre-selector filter.

wkredick

Using a VX924 VHF right now,great audio on this radio.Relatively new to Vertex here myself and am impressed by the 920 series.
I hope to save and get a VX824 in UHF for listening to all the UHF around me.

fineshot1

FINEshot1, the 220 conversion is still in the document stage.

The converted radio is being used by it's owner but I should have it back for a week to take some pictures.

Or the same guy may give me a second FTL to convert and then I can take some good pictures of this conversion, step by step, which is something that I didn't do with the first radio.

I did a similar conversion a few years back for the MT1000 low band to 6 meter ham and the pictures and documentation should be similar to that project, the only difference is that the FTL will have more pictures and documentation related to converting the transmitter and receiver, both which required some work.

The hardest part, like my MT1000 documentation was removing the VCO but even this is not so bad once you get by removing it from the radio and from its sub case.

All in all it's a nice conversion, the original FTL-2011 transmitter stage produces 24 watts on 220 with only some capacitor changes.

The receiver does around .28 uv for 12dB sinad with some core changes from ferrite to brass in the pre-selector filter.

OK - Thank you mm for that info. I googled and my eyes went blurry looking for this info and never
found it and that explains why. If you get some mod doc put together I would appreciate a pm or
email. Thanks again...

n2rld

Vx-510

I Have VX-510's and VX-500's on 10m and 6m it's just a software hack and a little vco tuning

N2RLD

Status
Not open for further replies.