• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

vertex radio problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

auxscan

I have the vertex vx-800 uhf firmware 1.25. I seem to have a huge problem in the squelching. When im near a computer, wireless router or cell phone my squelch opens. even if i pl set it attacks for about 15 msecs. I even set the Squelch to 7 and it still occurs. The worst part is when I have a Frequency like 462.5500 without any PL/DPL the squelch opens and start blasting near most electonic devices.

please can anyone one help me out hear? If I upgrade the firmware can it help out with this.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Is the PL set for both RX and TX, if you have it set right it shouldn't do that.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Oh and make sure you do not have it set in monitor mode my accident

auxscan

yes i do have PL set on RX & TX side. when near electionic devices the green light start flashing but the audio is silent. once i RX a transmission there a squelch blast at the end of each tranmissions for about 15 msecs. can you PM me with the info if you can please.

jim202

Welcome to the radio world with all the consumer electronics and their poor RF emissions control.
Your not the only one with that problem. Get use to it or stay away from all the electronics.

Even the best of radios out there get knocked by the same noise floor radiating trash electronics
today. Just about any computer bought today has the minimum effort put into them to keep
the digital noise from being radiated.

Why do you think that most of the public safety radio sites are attempted to be placed in
locations with minimum of consumer electronics near by. It doesn't take a 5th grader to
figure out that the less electronics means a quieter radio location.

Jim

I have the vertex vx-800 uhf firmware 1.25. I seem to have a huge problem in the squelching. When im near a computer, wireless router or cell phone my squelch opens. even if i pl set it attacks for about 15 msecs. I even set the Squelch to 7 and it still occurs. The worst part is when I have a Frequency like 462.5500 without any PL/DPL the squelch opens and start blasting near most electonic devices.

please can anyone one help me out hear? If I upgrade the firmware can it help out with this.

kb1ejw

Local Idiot
Feed Provider
Yes, Jim is pretty much right- Stay away from the computers and electronics.

Your radio shouldn't just "open up," .. or open squelch whenever it feels like... but this would be in an open area, not around buildings or businesses/ homes. The green light may flash; the radio may miss intended radio signals, but it shouldn't just make noise/static on it's own w/ PL programmed.

Now, if a radio signal was being transmitted from say, a tower site or near by source, and it had your programmed frequency/ CTCSS while you were around these devices making static and such, yes, the CTCSS decode will open, because CTCSS is a much lower frequency and travels further. This lower frequency (Hz rather then MHz) the radio will see easier, and then "open up" .. allowing the intended MHz frequency- which is now junk due to the computers/ electronics in the area- to make static.

I use CTCSS because "PL" is Motorola's "Private Line" .. same thing.. but I dislike Motorola. and I rather type extra letters then give Moto credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.