• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX-4000 ham band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcu02mpa

Anyone ever put a VX-4000L into the six meter band? I also have a UHF version that I may try for 440. I am waiting on microphones those are hard to find).

n000765

VX-4000 on 440 MHz

I programmed a VX-4000 (450 - 490 MHz version) for the 440 MHz ham band by changing the lower band limit in the CE49 data file (default.c49) from 450 MHz to 440 MHz. A similar procedure should work for the VX-4000L.

I used a hex editor to find the lower band limit in the default.c49 data file. I searched for 1A D2 74 80 (450000000 in hexadecimal). I found it twice and replaced it both times with 1A 39 DE 00 (440000000).

I imagine one occurance is for the code that verifies the validity of the receive frequency and the other is the code for the transmit frequency.

n000765

Tips on hacking CE-39/CE-49

Do you recall if you tried to edit the original 'default.c39' file (or whatever CE-39 calls its data files) that was created when you started running CE-39? If so, it may not contain the correct band limits for your version of the radio. That would explain why you couldn't find and replace them. Another possibility is that they may be stored in CE-39 rather than in the default.c39 file.

I've never used CE-39, but if it works like CE-49, you need to select the version of the radio you have (e.g. VHF-L, VHF-H, UHF-A/D/F) and save the configuration. The software will then put the correct band limits in the default.c39 file that match your radio.

BTW, my computer saved default.c49 as a 'read only' file, and CE-49 gave me an error message saying that it couldn't overwrite the file with the updated data. If this happens, browse to the folder where the file is saved, right-click the file, click Properties, and un-check the 'read only' box.

One last thing, I found a website (MaxKelley.com) that has a lot of really useful information on CE-39 and other Vertex Standard software. Some apps can be started with a password that puts them in 'Manufacture Mode' and unlocks the fields that are greyed-out in some of the windows. Be careful, though, these fields are greyed-out for a reason. Changing them can cause a radio to not work properly.

Danny37

Do you recall if you tried to edit the original 'default.c39' file (or whatever CE-39 calls its data files) that was created when you started running CE-39? If so, it may not contain the correct band limits for your version of the radio. That would explain why you couldn't find and replace them. Another possibility is that they may be stored in CE-39 rather than in the default.c39 file.

I've never used CE-39, but if it works like CE-49, you need to select the version of the radio you have (e.g. VHF-L, VHF-H, UHF-A/D/F) and save the configuration. The software will then put the correct band limits in the default.c39 file that match your radio.

BTW, my computer saved default.c49 as a 'read only' file, and CE-49 gave me an error message saying that it couldn't overwrite the file with the updated data. If this happens, browse to the folder where the file is saved, right-click the file, click Properties, and un-check the 'read only' box.

One last thing, I found a website (MaxKelley.com) that has a lot of really useful information on CE-39 and other Vertex Standard software. Some apps can be started with a password that puts them in 'Manufacture Mode' and unlocks the fields that are greyed-out in some of the windows. Be careful, though, these fields are greyed-out for a reason. Changing them can cause a radio to not work properly.

Can you please PM me aldanny37@yahoo.com

scottwhiting

Premium Subscriber
I have a VX-4000Vc and the CE-49 software. What needs to be done to open the band split for use on 2 meter Ham band?

n000765

Hex edit the lower band limit in the code plug file from 148 to 144 MHz

I changed the lower band limit on my UHF VX-4000 from 450 MHz to 440 MHz. I imagine the same procedure would work on the VHF version.

I started by reading the radio with CE-49 to generate the code plug file (called default.c49). Using a hex editor (I used a freeware hex editor called XVI32), I searched for 1AD27480 (450000000 in hexadecimal) in the code plug. I found it in two locations and changed both to 1A39DE00 (440000000 in hex).

The VHF code plug probably has 08D24D00 as the lower band limit (148000000 in hex). Try searching for it using a hex editor and replacing it with 08954400 (144000000 in hex).

scottwhiting

Premium Subscriber
Thanks n000765. Now to get a hex editor, then read the code plug. I'll print out what you posted.

scottwhiting

Premium Subscriber
My owners manual refers to CE-35. Am I correct in assuming that CE-49 replaces it, and functions fine in it's place?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
There is a way also to find the band limits in the exe or one of the dll files and modify that.. Thereby any radio you read/write you wont need to edit the data file first.

krazybob

Rather than searching for a frequency that may be different on each radio I wonder if you could post the hex address at which you found 14800000. I have a modified code plug that I use in read-only mode for the ham bands and another that takes me above 148. I do this because I can't find the address.

scottwhiting

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if/how to get CE-49 into "manufacturer mode"? That may be easier to work with if it can be accessed.

scottwhiting

Premium Subscriber
Thank you VSTech....I was thinking about trying that, but I assumed there would be a different password or something.

scottwhiting

Premium Subscriber
OK... I've accessed "manufacturer mode". Is this as simple as setting the frequency band to "VHF A" (136-160 MHz) instead of "VHF C" (148-174 MHz)?

VSTech

You might receive an error, because the main board's RF bell curve for the VHF C is configured for 145 to 175MHz, not to go as low as 135MHz. The good thing is the PA Q1013 is used on both C & A main boards. I would HIGHLY recommend to save a copy, just in case it causes an error

scottwhiting

Premium Subscriber
So... what's the best way in manufacturer mode to lower the band split to 144.0000 MHz?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Scott, I'm going to try hex editing for my VX-5500's and see if that works to drop them down to 144 MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.