• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Evx-5400 software

Status
Not open for further replies.

scandude43

Premium Subscriber
I took the plunge and bought an Vertex evx-5400 from The Antenna Farm. I chose Vertex mostly because You can download the software free legally. That being said, when I signed up on vertexs website I continued to have problems getting in to download it. with many calls to vertex regarding my issue it still remains unsolved as I was told it was a technical issue on vertexs end. My questions are If you can get the software free from vertex while do the dealers charge for it. secondly if a person pays over 550.00 for a radio . shouldnt a dealer offer it for free or atleast offer to program it. especially when the dealer knows of the issue. Vertex and Motorola radios and commercial radios require software for you to set up and enjoy. It seems unfair that you are at the mercy of people that just dont seem to care. What do you think? am I wrong?

rapidcharger

The software is available at no charge to those with a vertex standard online account which is really intended for dealers and self maintained users although they don't appear to be screening out registrants who are not.
If you don't have a vertex standard online account, you could try to obtain one or you can do what most end users do, which is buy the software from a dealer who sells it. Some dealers do give it away however I'd imagine most are selling it and/or probably urging you to instead let them program the radio for you (not for free). I suspect many people selling these radios online are oversimplifying the process for getting the software because they want very badly to sell you a radio.

bobcat3975

EVX5400 Same Programming problems

Have you been able to get your EVX 5400 programmed? I also bought one and it was not programmed and the dealer did not provide any support or assistance. I bought the software/cable from the Antenna farm and there was no documentation on how to load the program on the rig or set up anything. I watched the video from Vertex on e-verge and it was useless since I am using the rig for Amateur Radio use and not a commercial setup.
Is there a step by step How To load the software and then set up the rig anywhere or is this a hit and miss operation? I emailed Vertex Tech and got an account with them so I hope there is life out there able to assist in getting this thing up and running. The local hams in JAX area now have two UHF Repeaters that are set up LMR. Any help with this programming and setup would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Blane K3LYE

Gashliquor

Premium Subscriber
Glad a local Vertex dealer was able to get you the latest programming software...

Just as an FYI, I ended up finding an internet Vertex dealer with the best price:

Two Way Radio Services California - Surplus Radios

Check out their pricing...

Thats not the best pricing, And the software is free period even if your a end user of a Vertex radio, There are dealers online selling the SW from 15.00 to 49.99 if you want to feed there pockets, Its free. I got a full account within a hour. I filled out the app then called them and bingo they turn me on in 2 mins.

Yeah I use LMR for a business, But just a end user/owner of a Vertex radio can do the same thing.

orbitech

Have you been able to get your EVX 5400 programmed?

Did you get your 5400 programmed? Pretty easy to do once you have a correct cable. I bought a generic one, no go after fiddling with it about a month, ended up with the FIF-12 (official VS cable) for three times the money, BUT it instantly communicated with my radio and I was able to load to radio no issues. Save the default settings 1st, then play and see what you can do, can always reload the default settings. Just loaded the latest firmware too, no issues with that either.

This is my commercial rig in my work vehicle, BUT as a HAM too, I loaded a bunch of the local 2 meter repeaters and 2 m simplex frequencies for my locale. I set up groups for repeaters, simplex, weather, work and even put the MURS in a group, although I know even on lowest power it exceeds the rules, BUT I can scan those as well as all the others, if I hear somebody in distress, any radio that will be able to help will be used (may have to answer for it later, but I doubt it), I don't need the MURS frequencies for my everyday usage since I have both licensed business frequencies as well as amateur privileges that I can use. You can set individual frequencies for RX only (obviously a good idea for NOAA weather, etc.) it will avoid inadvertently doing something stupid.

N7SHG

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Did you get your 5400 programmed? Pretty easy to do once you have a correct cable. I bought a generic one, no go after fiddling with it about a month, ended up with the FIF-12 (official VS cable) for three times the money, BUT it instantly communicated with my radio and I was able to load to radio no issues. Save the default settings 1st, then play and see what you can do, can always reload the default settings. Just loaded the latest firmware too, no issues with that either.

This is my commercial rig in my work vehicle, BUT as a HAM too, I loaded a bunch of the local 2 meter repeaters and 2 m simplex frequencies for my locale. I set up groups for repeaters, simplex, weather, work and even put the MURS in a group, although I know even on lowest power it exceeds the rules, BUT I can scan those as well as all the others, if I hear somebody in distress, any radio that will be able to help will be used (may have to answer for it later, but I doubt it), I don't need the MURS frequencies for my everyday usage since I have both licensed business frequencies as well as amateur privileges that I can use. You can set individual frequencies for RX only (obviously a good idea for NOAA weather, etc.) it will avoid inadvertently doing something stupid.

N7SHG

The person you are asking hasn't been back here in about 18 months, so I doubt you'll get a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.