• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex VX4000L on 6-meter??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
I am considering setting up a VX4000L on 6-meter. Someone has already done this and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

First question: Will the 4000 spoof that high? Is it a range change, hex edit or Vulcan Mind Pinch?

Second question: If it will go up to 54MHz, what is the lower end of the range? Can the lower end of the range still cover NIFOG public safety VHF Low Band, specifically 44-ish? 42-ish? 39.46?

Third question: Is the channel/setup data stored in an eprom on the head (like Icom) or in each individual deck?

Final question: If it will do all of the above, can it be installed as a second RF deck in an existing remote head application?

My desired configuration: I presently have a VX6000V set up on a single remote head in one of my agency incident command vehicles with too many heads in the console (the 6000, a P25 VHF, a UHF. and an 800 P25 trunker, plus switchbox and siren, etc). I have changed my 6000V (using my FIF-8) from a 'C' to a 'A' range, allowing operation on 2-meter. That works fine and allows me to cover 2-meter and up to 160MHz. Other than not getting weather or Fed freq's it meets my needs.

In my version of the perfect world I would use my existing VX CTN6000 remote head (and other VX remote head adapters, cables and parts) to access both Low Band and VHF-High from one head. I am assuming the 4000 will multi-deck with a 6000. High TX output on Low Band is not necessary - one watt, one foot, one mile.

We have all of the cutting edge radio systems, but I intend to die an old conservative coward. In the event of a major incident I am not convinced the state-wide digital trunking system (or even regional VHF analog repeaters installed to R56) will still be standing and want to set up a reliable down-and-dirty fall-back plan before it hits the fan. There are presently dozens of 4000L's on eBay, cheap.

I have all of the necessary programs, cables, adapters and alignment equipment.

Do-able?

Last edited:

radiotweester

It's been done and I was able to do it (a while back). It requires VCO mod (removing or drilling a shield and turning a screw to get the correct voltage see page 5-2 of the service manual. It also requires software mod FIRST - read the radio, save, then mod that file save as a new name, and write the HAM freqs back.
CE49 5.17 & HxD
01C52FA0 29700000 replaced with 01C22260 29500000
02FAF080 50000000 replaced with 0337F980 54000000
1AD27480 450000000 replaced with 1A39DE00 440000000
If memory serves, I had RX in the NIFOG area, but TX dropped off way above it ~44MHz. I don't have access to that radio or I could be more specific.
Sorry, I have no info about the head questions.
Unfortunately the site with the best info and images has been taken down.
These links are worth reading and might be of help.
http://forums.radioreference.com/vertex-standard/301773-vertex-vx4000l-10m-29mhz-programming.html
Vertex VX4000L - 10m / 29 MHz FM programming

wcu02mpa

I have done numerous VX series

Radiotweetster nailed it. I do this regularly and the only other advice I can add is not to drill to VCO but to cut it with a dremmel type tool. The first one I tried to drill I went right through the board. The hardened cutting wheel is a must. You then colse it back and seal it with foil tape. I have done this to the 10M, 6M and 440 versions. Oddly enough the 2 meter version I have tried was stone deaf below 146 MHz. No other retuning really needed. Program in 50-54 MHz in 1 MHz steps and measure TX and RX voltages (really just keep turning outward until the VCO's lock.It helps to have service monitor to measure RX sensitivity; just see where you are. I have done this to 4000, 5500 and 6000. All will work from 42-54 MHz. The VX6000 did 120 watts reliably up to 54 MHz.

Remember that the hex change has to be done in two places. Search for the string, make the change and search again. Should be around lines 3120 and I think around 7120. I have it written done and will check later

PM me if I can help. These are great radios when converted. Happy to help anyone who wants to try it.

I can also modify Motorola CDM1250 (any waris series) into 6M and 10M plus Kenwood TK-690 into 6M and 10M. I have two CDM-1250's in 10M right now and they are great radios.

Last edited:

g8tzl2004

wcu02mpa - how does your VX4000 perform on 10m?

My VX4000 is deaf below 29.660 ie on 29.650, 29.620 etc. The official lower band edge is 29.700 so the radio only needs to RX about 200KHz out of band but I'm only getting 40KHz out of band until sensitivity drops off a cliff...29.660 = great sensitivity, next channel 29.650 30dB down. The radio will RX all the way down to 27 MHz so the VCO is in lock. So I don't think its a band pass filter issue as the drop off in sensitivity is too sharp. I thinks its more like a software issue where the out of band frequency is confusing the "linear interpolation" tuning routine?

wcu02mpa (or anybody else) - is your 10m VX4000 sensitive across the band and if so what did you do!! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.