• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ce59 and a vx-924 read issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

justavillain

I am trying to read and add a few channels to a 924 to update the radio for the area it will be used in. I am having trouble getting the ce59 software to read the radio.

Using the USB cable I have it on com port 6, I click upload, window pops up saying "turn radio off and on your begin upload" I do so and it waits about 30 seconds and an error pops up saying "turn radio on".

The radio is on and it is on a channel that is not active. I tired using another vhf and a uhf 924 same issue. The type drop down reads hand held 920.

The computer is a Windows 7 and using ce59 version 4.01

I hope this is a simple issue.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
CE59 Issue

Vertex seems to use two approaches in programming in their radios.
First, leave the radio turned off; then try to upload; it will tell you to turn the radio on, and hopefully
uploading will start.

Second, turn the radio on; then try to upload; it should tell you to turn the radio off and then on,
and hopefully start uploading.

If the above doesn't work you may have issue with the cable, com port, configure setting in your
CE59 program, etc.

PS: I ran into this the other day when I tried to read from the new VX-261 portable. Left radio
off and I kept getting a time out error message. Soon as I turned on the radio and then tried to
read, everything worked ok. This procedure is the reverse of the VX-350 series where you leave
the radio off and then read after the software tells you to turn the radio on. Wish Vertex would set
a standard here. Either one or the other procedure.

justavillain

Thanks for the suggestions. I just tried that and it didn't work. I also tried flipping the cable over. And nothing.

Ill look into my configuration settings a little better.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
CE59 Issue

Are you using the FIF10A or the newer FIF12A USB cable?
I was told by a dealer that new Vertex radios will only work now
with the FIF12A cable; no longer with the serial cable. Though
I should hang on to the serial and older FIF10A USB cable for
older Vertex radios.
Does the plug on the end of the cable where you plug into the
radio have 3 black insulator bands or just 2? I have seen this
happen when you only have cable plug with the two black
insulator bands. I believe the 2 band plug is for radio to radio
cloning. The 3 band for programming via computer. Someone
correct me on this if wrong. Also make sure you have inserted
the plug all the way into the socket on the radio. If not, this
will cause your error message too.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the VX-924 to offer you more help.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Re: VX924 programming cable.
Well, I see the VX-924 does not use the standard plug type used on other Vertex radios I am
familiar with, such as the VX410, 420, 350 portables. So my comments on the plug don't apply
to this radio.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.