• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with VX-354

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4ELO

I bought a 354 after the 180 I bought turned out to be bad. When I first got it, I done a test run putting 5 freqs in. Everything good, took the programming fine. Went on to finish the rest of my file, then went to write the whole file and bam. Hardware mismatch error. Can't even read the radio. I went to this thread http://forums.radioreference.com/vertex-standard/99398-programming-vertex-vx-350-w-ce86-2.html and followed the past with the driver info. No go. Still the same problem. Originally I used the prolific driver for my vx7 for the first write. Then it wouldn't work again. I used the USB cable from WISCOMM but the driver cd that came with it wouldn't install. It's like I don't even have a disc in it. Anybody got any ideas to try?

radio259

just for ****s and giggles, try changing port speed. I have that issue from time to time and that helped.

Do not know why, but that is a common programming issue with them. Lucky for us, the new VX264 series is selling like crazy.

KK4ELO

I tried that too. I saw the YouTube video for programming them and I put it on the 39400 I think it was, but I can only change it in the control panel. It won't let me change it from 9600 in the software configuration.

KK4ELO

Ok. I uninstalled all of the prolific stuff I could find and completely reinstalled the driver I used the first time. It says it's working correctly in device manager. Now, through that, I can change ports, Port speed, and everything else. But in ce86 I can only change the port number that corresponds with device manager, but I cannot change the port speed. I originally installed the wideband version of the software as I'm using it for 2M ham stuff. So I tried to update to the US version but I can't tell a difference. It's supposed to update the already installed software. Still get hardware mismatch. No error 2 yet though. Knock on wood.

KK4ELO

Why was I able to program it the first time now get this? I've tried everything I have found so far. I'm not really savvy on computer stuff so I know I'm doing something wrong somewhere

MBill

Premium Subscriber
I believe you said you are using the USB cable set up. Assume it is VERTEX FIF10A or FIF12A, and not Vertex's serial cable.
Try putting the USB into the same USB port that you originally programmed the radio from. Also check
in the config file in the CE86 programming that it shows the FIF10A or 12A selected, if you are using
Vertex's USB set up.
This happened to me on my laptop when I didn't put the USB cable back into the same USB port
that I programmed the radio with originally. Don't ask me why, but that's how it is on my laptop.
Bill

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Ok. So you are not using the Vertex USB box/cable. From what I see in the picture of the
cable you are using, it has the USB plug on one end and the correct plug on the other end.
Again, I would try to put the USB plug into the same port that you used originally to
program the radio,. Also, in the CE86 "File" menu select "Configure". I don't know if it
shows more than one Com port in the select box. If it does, try what selections you have
and see if any work. You probably will not be able to select the speed. If you have just one
port, such as Com 1, select it again and hit the OK button. I have found I have to do this
sometimes with the serial cable I use when programming a VX-2200 mobile radio. For
some reason the computer and Vertex software get confused, or forget what port is
being used for the programming. Its worth a try. Also make sure you have inserted the
plug fully into the socket on the radio. This will cause problems if you don't. Of course,
could always be something happened with your cable or conflict with computer and
software. Hope you get it straightened out.

Bill

KK4ELO

I have used both use ports (only has 2) and if I try to use any other port than what is selected in device manager I get cannot open com port. I even uninsulated the software and tried reinstalling both versions of it with no results. I called vertex and they said hardware mismatch had to do with the radio and to update the software. And I've done that.

KK4ELO

Ok I finally got the issue resolved. I called vertex again, I had to go to the recovery backup under radio, then I was able to read and write to the radio just fine. Thanks for everyone's help. I hope this helps others with the same problem.

vip3r82

fixed?

I bought a 354 after the 180 I bought turned out to be bad. When I first got it, I done a test run putting 5 freqs in. Everything good, took the programming fine. Went on to finish the rest of my file, then went to write the whole file and bam. Hardware mismatch error. Can't even read the radio. I went to this thread http://forums.radioreference.com/vertex-standard/99398-programming-vertex-vx-350-w-ce86-2.html and followed the past with the driver info. No go. Still the same problem. Originally I used the prolific driver for my vx7 for the first write. Then it wouldn't work again. I used the USB cable from WISCOMM but the driver cd that came with it wouldn't install. It's like I don't even have a disc in it. Anybody got any ideas to try?

don't know if you have this issue fixed yet but if not try this. they know their stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04o6XmEt7j8

Status
Not open for further replies.