RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Vertex Standard

Vertex Standard - Discussions regarding Vertex Standard professional and public safety radio equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 5:59 PM

Default VX-261

Hello!

I am new to radios and do not know much about the frequencies. I plan on buying some Vertex Standard Original VX-261-G7-5 UHF 450-512 MHz off of amazon. We plan on using the radios mostly on my farm, but I am wondering if it is legal if I use it in cities. I was wondering if UHF would be the right fit for what I plan on using the radios. Another question that I have is what would be the best frequencies to pick from? Also are the default frequencies legal without a license?

I am open to other radios and any suggestions anyone might have!

Once again thanks for your help and have a good day.
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2015, 8:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

For the most part you will need a license for any UHF frequency. One exception are the FRS frequencies but the radio you mentioned is not certified by the FCC for use on the FRS frequencies. Your FCC license identifies where you can use the radios (nation wide, state wide. so many kilometers around a specific point). Same goes for VHF frequencies, you need a license and the radio must be certified for the type of service you are licensing.
BB
Old 11-01-2015, 10:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA0CBW View Post
For the most part you will need a license for any UHF frequency. One exception are the FRS frequencies but the radio you mentioned is not certified by the FCC for use on the FRS frequencies.
The so-called license free radio services (FRS, MURS, etc) are not truly license free, they are license by rule. Meaning, one follows the rules as written, one is authorized to use.

One violates the rules (including use of non-certified equipment on said radio services), the authority to use said service ends.

To the O/P, what WA0CBW says is correct, pretty much all radios are regulated by the FCC and require a license unless they are license by rule radios, such as FRS and MURS.

To operate on those services, one must purchase radios specifically certified as such for those services, and of course, obey all other relevant FCC rules governing use of those services.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:44 AM

Thanks for your input. It is much appreciated!!
Old 04-04-2017, 5:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiotown View Post
Hello!

I am new to radios and do not know much about the frequencies. I plan on buying some Vertex Standard Original VX-261-G7-5 UHF 450-512 MHz off of amazon. We plan on using the radios mostly on my farm, but I am wondering if it is legal if I use it in cities. I was wondering if UHF would be the right fit for what I plan on using the radios. Another question that I have is what would be the best frequencies to pick from? Also are the default frequencies legal without a license?

I am open to other radios and any suggestions anyone might have!

Once again thanks for your help and have a good day.
Get a GMRS License and all your family members can use under the same license.
You are not supposed to use them for anything other than personal comms.
but on a farm. unless you are interfering with someone you should be okay

Just saw this is a very old post. MY BAD

Last edited by ff2sherman; 04-04-2017 at 5:24 PM..
Sponsored links