RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Vertex Standard

Vertex Standard - Discussions regarding Vertex Standard professional and public safety radio equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 10:04 PM

Default VX 2200 problem

After programing a Vertex 2200 the radio shuts down about 5 seconds after I turn it on. I'm new to then Vertex software and wondering if it's the radio or did I miss something?
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2016, 6:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm going to assume that the radio worked normally before you programmed it. It stayed on and
you could transmit/receive with no issues.
If the radio was not tested before you programmed it, is the power supply the radio is hooked up to providing enough amperage? It should supply at least 10 amps and preferably 15 amps if you transmit. Less of course if just monitoring.
Did you adjust the power level setting during your programming?
I will have to look at the menu for the VX-2200 and see if I notice anything that would cause this,
though does not seem like a programming issue.
Old 10-02-2016, 9:44 PM

The radio stayed on before I programed it and I did lower the power level on some channels
Old 10-03-2016, 3:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I looked thru the various menus and didn't see anything that would cause the condition you described.
My guess is that there is something wrong with the radio. It seems unlikely that programming the radio
would have caused this issue, but anything is possible. I assume the radio is out of the Vertex 3
year warranty period otherwise you could send it to Vertex for repair. I've programmed many of these
VX-2200 mobiles and never yet had this issue. Anybody else got any ideas?
Old 10-03-2016, 4:03 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default VX2200

Ignition Sense should be off in Misc. Also the programming cable needs to be removed. Gary
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2016, 10:15 PM

These are new radios I tried a second radio and it's acting the same way. Its got me stumped
Old 10-05-2016, 8:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Some more questions to see if we can narrow this down:
Are you using the correct software for the radio? I think it is the CE86 software.
Are you using a serial cable or USB cable such as the Vertex FIF12A which is recommended?
Are you using a bench type power supply for powering the radio or battery power?
If bench power supply, does it work OK with other radios? (Some power supplies shut down if they detect a short or other fault.)
When you hook up the radio for programming does it stay powered up then?
Do you have anything connected to the rear chassis DB9 Connector?
Have you tried transmitting even if it appears the radio has powered down? The display could
be off, giving the appearance that the radio is powered off. Check in the programming menu
under "Key Function" and see if any of the front keys may be programmed for "Emergency";
also check under "Emergency" and see if it says "Disabled" under Display. Read the help file
info as it says that this setting will turn off the display, but the radio will still be on. However,
you have to press the programmed front key first, so I doubt this would be an issue.
Lastly, if you can get the radio to stay on during programming you can try the Factory
reset in the Upload/download section. It will put things back to Factory default. I've found
this works for certain radio issues.
Old 10-06-2016, 6:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Correction on software. Should be CE82 not CE86.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:50 PM

Power supply is good using CE82 with the Vertex USB cable. How do you reset I don't see it in the radio section?
Old 10-06-2016, 2:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Its under the radio heading where you upload/download. Last choice in the list is "Adjustment
Recovery". Read over the help file just to see what will happen. You may have to re-enter all your
channel programming, but it's worth a try.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:00 AM

The radio won't stay on long enough to even get started
Old 10-07-2016, 6:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

At this point unless anybody else has some ideas I would contact Vertex and see if they have any
suggestions. If they are new radios they will probably honor the warranty if you have to send them
back. You could also try to see if a Vertex dealer in your area has any ideas. It could be the radios
are defective, though very unlikely. Post the results if any thing fixes the issue. It is an unusual one.
Old 10-11-2016, 8:26 AM

I tried the third radio with the same results so I took them to a Vertex dealer they played with them for three days and couldn't figure it out so they sent them in to the company for me. I'd like to thank MBill and gvodvarka for all the help .
Old 10-12-2016, 12:39 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Let me know what they find. I am a long time dealer. Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2016, 9:35 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thinking about this issue one thing that came to my mind is to connect a +DC voltage (up to +13 volts DC) to the DB9 accessory connector pin that has ignition sense and see if the radio would remain powered up then. Maybe something in the programming set the radio to look for voltage on this pin to allow radio to stay on. Though normally you have to enable the ignition sense feature which I believe is in the Miscellaneous menu.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation vx 2200 programing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBill View Post
I looked thru the various menus and didn't see anything that would cause the condition you described.
My guess is that there is something wrong with the radio. It seems unlikely that programming the radio
would have caused this issue, but anything is possible. I assume the radio is out of the Vertex 3
year warranty period otherwise you could send it to Vertex for repair. I've programmed many of these
VX-2200 mobiles and never yet had this issue. Anybody else got any ideas?
i'm trying to program a 2200 also have the correct software and usb cable, when i turn it on with the programming cable plugged in it goes to self test and radio name with a beep back and fourth. the software says to turn off then on to start downloading. neither works up or down, radio comes on fine with out or with ing sense,

any info is appreciated
using ct 104 usb and ce-94 software
k8ble
Old 04-29-2017, 7:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Leave the radio off. On the menu step for uploading (reading the radio) once you press the button
you should see the message to turn the radio on. Then turn on the radio. If that doesn't work, it could
be you have the wrong com port selected. Go to the "configure" section in the menu, I think its under
"file" and see what selections you get for com port. You may have to try them all. You should be able
to select the FIF10 or 12 USB, depending on which version you have. I think for the USB the program
uses com port #6, but it may be different for your computer.
There's always the possibility you have a bad code plug and that's preventing the radio from being
read. If under warranty send it back to a Vertex dealer.
Bill
Old 05-22-2017, 11:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

hello guys well i haven't got very far and i'm about halfway trying every ones answer's. but quick question..
the fifi program cables i have 3 or 4 and can't tell them apart, and were i ordered them from say there different.but how you tell i have had a time were one fits a few?. but there's no ID on the cable.to tell them
apart. i'm working on ing sense and voltage changes, amperage is right on. well sorry it took me so long to get back to you all.
THANKS K8BLE
Old 05-22-2017, 11:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

STILL WORKING ON IT. oop's.. trying everyones answer's..sorry it took so long trying to ID the many cables that look the same and no markings on them.
3's
Old 05-23-2017, 12:17 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Not to be an *** but it's what 20 years old. It's probably just flat worn out. We have some still as control stations but other just exhibited odd behavior and half died. How some are still operating I don't know.