• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need Help Programming VX-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsyms

Hey all,
I recently purchased 2 VX-800s (vhf and uhf), as well as a programming cable, and am looking to program each. Both radios are already programmed from the previous owner, but I am have a lot of difficulties programming it myself. I have the latest CE-31 software and the Prolific driver, but every time I plug the radio(s) in and hit 'download' on the software, I keep getting stuck at "turn the radio off, then back on". I haven't gotten any further, and have even called Vertex, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andrew

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Vertex radios (depending on model) use two different methods to read from radio. Don't know if it is
the particular software or something with the computer.

Try one of these:

1. Turn radio on. Then hit upload button. When message comes on screen to turn off radio, turn it off
and then back on. Don't turn off/back on too fast.
2. Leave radio off, then hit upload button. Turn on when message appears to "turn on radio".
One of the two should work if everything else is OK.

apsyms

Vertex radios (depending on model) use two different methods to read from radio. Don't know if it is
the particular software or something with the computer.

Try one of these:

1. Turn radio on. Then hit upload button. When message comes on screen to turn off radio, turn it off
and then back on. Don't turn off/back on too fast.
2. Leave radio off, then hit upload button. Turn on when message appears to "turn on radio".
One of the two should work if everything else is OK.

Unfortunately, neither worked :(

willdanl

Premium Subscriber
Do you get any kind of indication on the radio that it is communicating with the computer at all (change in LED, message on LCD)? Have you tried to UPLOAD from the radio? You might try changing the baud rate setting in the software to see if that makes a difference. Also, you might try running the firmware installation software to see if it will communicate. Sorry if all of these were already covered in your call with Vertex.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
From what I have seen, the radios and computers are very picky with what type of usb to serial adapter is used. Most I have won't communicate with the radios.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Are you using the Vertex FIF10A or 12A programming cable? That is what is called for with these
radios. Serial cable unlikely to work.
Also in the software menus check under the "File" heading and click on "Configure". Make sure that
the FIF10A or FIF12-A is selected. You may also see some com ports listed. You could try them just
in case one works.
Could also be an issue with the software verses the computer as to what either one wants to see,
or problem with the connecting cable or driver.

apsyms

I think it might be the cable I'm using, which is one of those Chinese USB ones off eBay. I'm going to see if I can pick up an OEM cable from a friend/radio dealer. Until then I'm going to keep trying with this cable, though - thanks for all the help everyone!

T1poirier

Serial Port

Just a quick thought, you may want to check to make sure that your programming software is set to use the correct serial port (ie: Port Number) to communicate to your USB -to- Serial cable. I know if that isn't set correctly you will not be able to read or write to the radio.

You can check your device manager to check which serial port is actually the USB to Serial cable.

Hope this helps!

MBill

Premium Subscriber
That could well be. Seen a number of complaints on bad Chinese after market cables bought from internet sites.
Post the solution if you find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.