• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VXD-R70 Repeater lost transmit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattguy

I have been running a VXD-R70 for my business for the last 2 years. I have lost the transmit strength. I installed my signal meter on the transmit side and also checked after my duplexer and the output is 15watts max. In my CPS software it is set for 45watts. Could my transmit radio have gone out already? The system is used minimally. Thanks for any help, Matt.

Last edited:

WISCOMM

I have been running a VXD-R70 for my business for the last 2 years. I have lost the transmit strength. I installed my signal meter on the transmit side and also checked after my duplexer and the output is 15watts max. In my CPS software it is set for 45watts. Could my transmit radio have gone out already? The system is used minimally. Thanks for any help, Matt.

If only 2 years old, its still under the 3 year warranty. Contact the dealer that sold you it and get to the depot asap.

This is a fairly common issue its cousin the XPR8300/XPR8400.

Mattguy

Thank you wiscomm. The date on box is 2/3/2013. Would the warranty still be in effect from the purchase date or manufacture date?

Mattguy

Are you saying that the output of the duplexer is 15W?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I checked to make sure duplexer was not bad by testing power before and after duplexer. Output is 15 watts either way. I heard of issues with the transmit radio going bad and people swapping the heads.

Mattguy

15e2d8b5fa4501bb4f683615207095ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

12dbsinad

Did you check both forward and return power? That being said, it is possible the unit could be folding down because of excessive VSWR due to a problem in the antenna system. This is done to protect the final on the repeater.

Or it could very well be a bad PA in the unit itself...

RFI-EMI-GUY

What power level is the station rated for? Did you actually verify that power level directly at the transmitter terminals, into a dummy Load? Going by what the software shows could be way off.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Mattguy

I installed my power meter between my duplexer and antenna. Also between TX output and antenna with no duplexer, to see if it was a duplexer issue. All of a sudden one day we lost the distance we had. It will only reach out about 5 miles now. Before I was hitting 35 miles.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I installed my power meter between my duplexer and antenna. Also between TX output and antenna with no duplexer, to see if it was a duplexer issue. All of a sudden one day we lost the distance we had. It will only reach out about 5 miles now. Before I was hitting 35 miles.
What kind of power meter is this and what is the reflected power from the antenna?

I second checking reflected power if your equipment is capable. Between the duplexer and antenna. If you have a dummy load you can check it between the duplexer and the dummy load. Sometimes cans can become untuned as well. So you can hook up your power meter between the repeater and a dummy load.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

cmdrwill

"All of a sudden lost range" Did you test the antenna?

RFI-EMI-GUY

The OP said the CPS software is "set to 45 watts". Unless you verify with a proper external watt meter, the power level could be too high leading to damage. Or it could be that forward or reverse power limits have been triggered.

A sudden power level failure could be antenna, feedline or the PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.