• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX 2500 DB9 connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve9jmc

Feed Provider
Good Evening everyone.

I have a Vx2500 programmed up for use. I have the radio programmed for the DB 9 connector as well to get audio from so the user can use that audio to feed a logging program on a PC. However when i monitor the audio from pin 2 of the DB 9 connector it does feed the audio to the logger but also feeds static between the transmissions as well. Am i correct in assuming that the audio from pin 2 of the DB 9 connector is picked off before the squelch circuit? or am i just missing something in the programming?

Thanks

ve9jmc

Feed Provider
Thanks for the reply.

Yes i did try the setting for the filtered audio but still doesn't have a squelch to it. It's still just continuous audio whether it be static or an actual transmission coming through.

cmdrwill

Maybe wrong pin on the DB9 connector, and I do not have the pin out here to check.

And the filtered squelched audio is near line level and not affected by the radio's volume control.

ve9jmc

Feed Provider
Thanks for the reply

Pin 2 of the db9 is the Output RX Discriminator. However depending on which JP is enabled. I've tried both JP3 which is the setting for the flat audio, as well as JP4 which is for the filtered audio. From the factory JP3 is always closed and JP4 is open. I've tried JP3 and JP4 and still don't get any squelch at all. it's like the squelch is constantly open.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 94

cmdrwill

Correct observation, the audio is NOT Squelched.
You will have to find a point in the radio that has filtered and squelched audio.
Or use the Pin 1, Output Logic Squelch, and a audio gating circuit external to the radio.

I do not have the roadmap for the VX2500, or I would look into finding a audio point.

ve9jmc

Feed Provider
Thanks

I kinda figured in these cheap little vertex radios that the rx discriminator output audio wasn't going to be squelched, but i my limited dealing with these radios i decided to ask the question. But i wonder for future reference it it might just be worth picking off the audio at the input to the Audio IC before it's amplified to the speaker. That may be something i have to try in the future if i just want to play around.

I have solved my own problem anyway. I won't use the vertex to pick off the audio. i have decided to use a Motorola GM300 for that purpose where i just needed to place the connectors on pins 11 and 9 of the accessory connector and all was good to go straight away.

Thanks for the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.