• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex EVX 539 programming issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoz

I have recently received a new Vertex EVX 539 with cable and software, I purchased it new, when I try to program it it tells me "Port open error", and when I check my settings it says the baud settings are not recommended and only gives me three options to choose and it tells me the same thing on each setting. No matter what settings or port I use, it tells me the same thing, I'm using Windows 10 and I've tried two computers with the same results, I'm sure I'm overlooking something somewhere, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I have recently received a new Vertex EVX 539 with cable and software, I purchased it new, when I try to program it it tells me "Port open error", and when I check my settings it says the baud settings are not recommended and only gives me three options to choose and it tells me the same thing on each setting. No matter what settings or port I use, it tells me the same thing, I'm using Windows 10 and I've tried two computers with the same results, I'm sure I'm overlooking something somewhere, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Windows 10 is likely your issue. Try windows 7 or XP

N5XPM

programming problems

Many folks struggle with computers to program radios, as I have as well.
My best luck on a regular basis was to buy an older computer with USB and serial ports (I have some radios, etc. that use serial programming cables.) and use the computer only for programming radios, scanners, etc. I do also download firmware upgrades with it, which it does well.
My laptop of choice is the Dell Latitude D620 or D630, which can often be purchased with Windows 7 installed for under $100 on Ebay. It has saved me hundreds of dollars of time and frustration.

TheBoz

I was wondering about trying an older computer or something besides Windows 10, I have installed a lot of software on it for radio programming, and I have had a few that have dealt a fit, and I'm going to try an older computer, and a few other options and see if I can get anything to work, it's frustrating for sure.

bpsmicro

I get this every now and then (I'm using a USB cable on Win10). What I find works best is to connect everything up, leave the radio off. Then start the upload and, as it starts, turn the radio on. The light comes up purple so you know it's gone into the right mode.
It usually works first try most times, but every now and then the planets won't be aligned and I'll have to retry several times. When I have to retry, what works best is to turn the radio off, unplug it, plug it back in, restart the upload, then turn the radio on again.
I think the software has too short of a timeout while it tries to handshake with the radio, and gives up a bit too easily.

If you're going to be programming a lot of radios, I'd recommend a dedicated Win7 box too. Or even <shudder> XP.

Brad.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
... I think the software has too short of a timeout while it tries to handshake with the radio, and gives up a bit too easily....

Brad.

Never understood why Vertex designed there radios/software the way they did.

‘Turn off the radio, then on to start download’ is the dumbest thing ever. Same with their USB interface with the 5 pin DIN of 1980’s Radio Shack CB vintage. I have a dual RJ-45/4 conductor 1/8” serial programming knock off cable that is solid. Even with a USB<->serial adaptor it never fails with the software I have.

I will say, they are a great, cheap, low end entry brand with an awesome warranty. The speaker mics are solid, and batteries far and away exceed my wildest expectations.

I have extensive experience with VX-231/261 portables and VX-2200/2500 mobiles and they are good for what they are.

For an industrial setting where you need reliable, simple analogue comms they can’t be beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eaf1956

Feed Provider

I program my 539 with WIN 7 64 bit. Had to get the NON US version of the programing software to get around narrow banding restrictions.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The US versions I have, I simply roll back the computer date to before Jan 1/2013 and program wide band no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBoz

I haven't had a chance to try anything yet, but I've been reading up on what everyone has been telling me and I appreciate the information and hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to try it out and maybe have some luck (fingers crossed).

Status
Not open for further replies.