• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VXR-7000

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLMedia

Trying to program 2 VXR-7000's that I just found. I am using an old Windows 2000 laptop with the CE27 1.8 US firmware.
I am also using a USB not a Serial cable.
When I try to read or even write a code plug to the repeater it gives me an Error. I am on the correct COM port but not sure what else it could be.
Possibly the cable? Should I have ordered a Serial instead of a USB?

Help me please!!! Thank you

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
When using the USB cable, are there special drivers that must be installed prior to using the software? Many of these older applications work best with a true serial cable, but I have no specific experience with the CE27 software.

- John

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Why not use the modern supported Windows based CPS? If you're trying to use an old version under DOS, it's not going to play nice with a USB to RS232 dongle.

The latest CE-27 CPS is out there. Runs on modern PCs and WinXP/7/8/10 natively.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
More info - Just found these footnotes in the VX7000 manual and thought that the info might be helpful (especially the second note):

Important Note!

Do not run the CE27 programming software directly
from the original distribution diskette.
Copy the programming software to your
computer's hard disk, then run the software from
the hard disk only. Keep the original distribution
diskette in a safe place in case you need to
make another copy of it at a later date.

Before creating the programming data for your
VXR-7000 via the CE27 programming software,
upload the current factory hardware environment
data from the VXR-7000, using the [F5]
(ReadRom) command. Use this data profile to
create the programming data for this repeater.

FLMedia

You guys are awesome!!! So downloaded the updated Version 1.8 for windows and installed it on my Windows 10 desktop. and IT WORKS!!!! wow now I can stop stressing lol.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The Windows version of CE for VXR is so much easier to navigate than the ancient DOS based CE27. No headaches of trying to get ancient hardware to survive either.

FYI if you need wideband, just download the "international" version and it won't try to force narrowband on you (for ham applications of course).

FLMedia

The Windows version of CE for VXR is so much easier to navigate than the ancient DOS based CE27. No headaches of trying to get ancient hardware to survive either.

FYI if you need wideband, just download the "international" version and it won't try to force narrowband on you (for ham applications of course).

Thank you for that info! I'll keep that in mind. It looks like there is an Ethernet cable plug on the rear of these 7000's. Is that used for connecting over internet or is that used as another port for programming?

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
You need a FIF-12 Dongle and RJ45 pig tail to program it..unless you have a Ribless cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLMedia

I was able to get the repeater programmed. Thanks everyone!! Next up are to try programming my EVX-R70's and VXD-R70's..

Status
Not open for further replies.