800 Mhz Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRFD-118

I'm trying to look in to getting a radio that is capable of RX and TXing In Botetourt county, which is a conventional narrow band radio system at this time, Be able to RX Roanoke city 800 MHz Motorola Smartnet II system and also be able to RX Roanoke county which i believe is a P25 phase one system, all on one radio. I was wondering what Motorola and Kenwood radios would be best for this set up?

n5ims

From the looks of things, you want a radio that will RX/TX on UHF as well as do Motorola Smartnet and P-25 Trunking. They make them, but expect to pay for the convenience of carrying just one radio. You'll probably looking at the Motorola APX Series radio (at about $7,000 each) and you'll need to have it programmed for you by both Roanoke City and Roanoke County for them since they're trunked systems (or risk having the radio bricked by them if not programmed 100% correctly).

You're probably better off getting just a conventional UHF radio set up by your local county for your required frequencies and a digital scanner to handle the Roanoke systems. The programming hassles will be much less, probably have less legal issues, and you can get them both for under a grand.

BRFD-118

Yea im in the process of reading up on this issue and I see alot about legal issues about security keys and the system recognizing you and kicking you off, or some sort as that. I was looking in to buying some version of the Motorola XTS either the 2500 or 3000 (I dont know if either of those would work suffiently for my purposes). I do though have a scanner that works fine on the Motorola system but not on the P25. I was just thinking that getting a radio that had all of it in it would be so much easier.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
What's your need for TX?

Scanners for smartnet systems have been around for 14 years BC235XLT). Scanners for smartzone, 8+ (BC250D) and P25 FDMA, 7+ (Pro-96).

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Buy a TX for needs and a compatible FDMA (996/396XLT or PSR-500 family) scanner or maybe even a TDMA (PSR-800).

BRFD-118

Well under normal circumstances thats what i would do but i found a XTS3000 for a unbeatable price. I just didnt know if that radio was capable of doing what i need it to do.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Ebay for AU 300.00
UP FOR AUCTION IS 1X MOTOROLA XTS3000 250 CHANNEL
BLACK CASE WITH NO BATTERY AND NO ANTENNA
COMES PROGRAMMED WITH THE NEW 80 CHANNEL UHF AND A CD WITH HOW TO PROGRAM
PROGRAMMING CABLES AVAILABLE ON EBAY
1 Meg Unit
Model# H09RDH9PW7BN
FIRMWARE: R5.06.00
DSPN: 06.05.02

Options Installed on this Flashcode (549008-000600-2)
Q806/G806 IMBE / APCO-25 Digital Operation
H14/G114 Digital ID Display
H868/W969 Multikey Operation
G170/H43 Remote Monitor and Radio Trace
H46 One-Touch Operation
H38/G51 Smartzone Operation
Q387 Conventional voting scan
Q173/G173 Smartzone OmniLink Operation

BRFD-118

Yea I was looking at a motorola xts3000, model 1, Flash code 100008-000000-0
Q806/G806
H38/G51

Although this unit donesnt have a front display screen I'm willing to deal with it since it's at such a cheap Price. The only concern I have is figuring out the security key issue with the smart net system and P25, hopefully I can get some help from some of my fire rescue buddies in the area

BRFD-118

Ok i think i have finaaly figured out what i need and what will work and wont work talking to some of yall on the forum and surfing the net. I really am over my head lol

hdralleiii

Feed Provider
I'm trying to look in to getting a radio that is capable of RX and TXing In Botetourt county, which is a conventional narrow band radio system at this time, Be able to RX Roanoke city 800 MHz Motorola Smartnet II system and also be able to RX Roanoke county which i believe is a P25 phase one system, all on one radio. I was wondering what Motorola and Kenwood radios would be best for this set up?

Botetourt is a UHF system and city / County systems are 800Mhz systems respectively. As others have stated, get a good UHF radio for the Botetourt system ( I use an HT1250) and use a good scanner for the Roanoke systems or an XTS2500. Both can be programmed to passively monitor the County P25 and City Smartnet systems without problems if done correctly. If not, you will get bricked on the County system, as you should, if you do not have permission to be on it. I will say that the scanners I have tried on the County simulcast system have NOT worked very well compared to a Moto...

BRFD-118

Yea i have a BCT8 scanner that use to do the job but after roanoke county went to the P25 system my BCT8 is no longer able to pick up the county other than using the 155.0550 frequency. I then looked in to buying a new uniden scanner that was capable of doing the job but saw the price of around $400 dollars. after a little more research i found a few XTS3000's on ebay that were cheaper that could accommodate the Roanoke county and city system. Now comes my problem the program of the radio without it being "zapped" to as you stated passively monitor the traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.