Fairfax County Police Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredva

Feed Provider
Would you consider adding a few other frequencies to the feed?

Just keep in mind that channels that aren't classified as dispatch or special event channels, such as TAC channels, SWAT channels, narcotics operations channels, detective channels, etc. are prohibited on RadioReference feeds.

RonBon

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Feed Provider
What talk groups do you want to add? As is dispatch/OPS 1 are active. I don't plan on enabling any more.

cpetraglia

It's nice to have the feed, however, it's hard to keep up any given dispatch when it changes talkgroups with the next transmission. I cant see the big value here since we all obviosly dred the day they go encrypted. This sort of broadcasting is hurting our hobby. !!!

RonBon

Feed Provider
It's always been an educated guess on my part about encryption. To keep it short, If I was going to pick an area to deploy multiple jurisdiction/system wide encryption it would be our area. The continuity of system type(ASTRO25), voice type(P25 CAI Exclusive) and radio line would allow for smooth interoperable encryption. System wide encryption would be overkill but wouldnt be surprised if we start to see more and more.

RonBon

Feed Provider
It's nice to have the feed, however, it's hard to keep up any given dispatch when it changes talkgroups with the next transmission. I cant see the big value here since we all obviosly dred the day they go encrypted. This sort of broadcasting is hurting our hobby. !!!

Only dispatch talkgroups are active now. I have been waiting for someone to bring it up. Only took a week.... There is no rule breaking here FYI but I will play nice. When it comes to the jumping around, I have bumped the delay to 3 seconds. Each talk group will hold for 3 seconds after the end of each transmission.

Speaking of encryption, been listning to STARS lately? They have been testing "secure mode" off and on for the past week. Why would I still be getting audio of the test after they have entered "secure mode"? It sounded horrible like standing next to a train while talking to your friend through 2 cans and a string.Voice was still there.

JokeInsurance

What talk groups do you want to add? As is dispatch/OPS 1 are active. I don't plan on enabling any more.

I sent you a private message about it.

But what I wouldn't mind seeing is having alert notifications pop up every now and then for the police and fire & rescue feeds. If that is possible, of course.

cpetraglia

I have been watching Pro96Com since I figured out how to get a decent signal. So far, no new encryption. I am sure the whole system is capable. The good news is, I have a radio count of 9,862 radios on this system. Either they are all ready for the change over or it will cost a bunch. Fairfax just anounced a large buget shortfall. We all hope this will last a while. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck

RonBon

Feed Provider
I hope it will last for a while too. There are way to many other features to invest in before encryption. Top of the line AES is just silly anyways unless protecting state secrets. Secure the network sites with a good door/lock and other inexpensive options while protecting field equipment from being rekeyed or cloned. After doing these two things, there is no reason anything above DES should be implemented for county government systems. Before you respond to what I just said understand that I know there are justifications for stronger encryption in our area of Virginia solely based on interop needs with state and federal agencies and the systems they use. All systems will inherently have to share the same method of encryption. If this is the route being taken, the only person paying for it all should be the good old federal government, not the counties.

In Fairfax the money would better be spent on adding APX portables and APX7500 mobiles to the fleet while transitioning the XTS series and mobile radios into the county services(schools, public works, ect). Unless this is already happening. Darn, I just spent my one rant per month allocated to me.

I have a couple of questions for anyone out there with answers.
1) Are the Alpha tags up to date in the database?
2) If there is anyone out there with ideas and information for the feed description page please PM myself or post it in the thread.

*edit* I have added Herndon into the feed as well as SIRS and PMARS

Last edited:

RonBon

Feed Provider
Last post from me on the topic of encryption ever. :) It seems like everyone is worried about being listened in on. The right answer I would think should be to keep people from talking and being heard on a mission critical system that should not be.

POP25 (programming over project 25) is a very cool concept.Saves money and time for the owners. Also looks very secure and rejects radios that are not wanted. This is where AES seems very plausible. I imagine it would be a neat thing to see in action. Looks very user friendly.

Please read my last post. The feed information page has been empty and needs information. Along with the Fairfax FD feed. I am very indecisive and need input! <---80's movie reference.

JokeInsurance

RonBon, thanks for adding the Division 7 State Police patch.

And if its not too much to ask, any chance you can add the George Mason University Police Dispatch patch sometime down the road?

Thanks.

cpetraglia

OK so I'm trying to understand this. There is one feed for Fx Co. This includes all 6 County PD TGs, now Herndon also and the VSP patch? How can anyone follow anything on a busy day. You'll hear for example Sully Disp. and the next thing could be a mobile replying to Herndon Dispatch. I for one could never listen like that. No comm will ever be complete.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also as far as I know, GMU PD is atill operating there analog freqs. The do have a patch on the Co. system, but only use it for emergencies. NVCC is on the system 24/7.

Thanks,

JokeInsurance

I apologize for bringing back an old thread but I was curious to the current status on the feed? I haven't seen it online since early September. What issues are preventing it from coming back online?

Again, I apologize for bringing back an old thread.

Thank you.

RonBon

Feed Provider
No issues with anything. Feed will be AOI(available on internet) tomorrow night. I apologize for the down time.

RonBon

Feed Provider
Instead of starting a new thread I figured I would say it on this on. "On behalf of everyone in the capital region that argued DC public safety encryption was a bad idea, I congratulate you on the vindication after the navy yard tragedy showed how horrible field/end user equipment was non interoperable with the district, military and federal responders.After action reports will show a massive break down in the ability for effective time critical communication to happen."

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
You know, I do not like taking too much about the E word but I have always liked to believe that the Fairfax County PD is transparent enough that it does not feel a need to block information from its citizens. I hope it stays that way. Thank you for providing the feed. I cannot get FFX from where I am in Loudoun.

loco-lee

I hate to break it to you, but Fairfax just placed an order for APX radios to replace all their old radios and every one ordered (police and fire) was purchased with AES and DES encryption capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.