Caroline Co.'s new 700 mhz. trs license

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
Caroline County 700mhz system

Would this system once it is implemented be monitored using a Uniden 396T scanner . I live in the east end of Hanover County

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
Does any know if this system is going to be Phase1 or2. I was hoping Caroline County would come on board the Hanover County System. Looks like that option would have more cost effective but we the public seem to have no say in how our taxpayer dollars are spent. By the way I would like to let everyone know that top government officials in Hanover County to told me they have no plans to encrypt their system. I commend them for their decision.They understand how we scanner listeners can be a valuable asset to them . I cannot say the same about the others in the Richmond Metro area. Just my 2cents for whatever it's worth.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
I also think that if New Kent County replaces its aging analog system they should consider like King William and West Point did and become a partner on the system Hanover implemented 4 Years ago.I think I read an earlier post that they were considering joining James City/York county system.I hear they have 100% encrpyted Comms.Maybe they are thinking of doing the BIG E word For their citizens hope not .I sure do not wish to see this hobby fade away. I still think we the people can have a voice in our respective counties about this subject.Please do as i did in Hanover and call or Email or write your local elected officials if you disapprove. If we all unite i believe we can sway the elected officials to see our point of view.

fredva

Feed Provider
I was hoping Caroline County would come on board the Hanover County System. Looks like that option would have more cost effective but we the public seem to have no say in how our taxpayer dollars are spent.

Supposedly other agencies with their own digital systems already in place were going to charge Caroline a hefty annual fee to join in. That was the reason given for Caroline getting its own system - supposedly it would cost them a little less in the long run. I know one of the systems considered was STARS; Hanover was probably another one. I can't verify the numbers - I just know what Caroline officials said.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
I not 100% sure but are most of the counties in North Carolina using the state system known as VIPER.If this correct and please correct me if i am wrong does VA system STARS have the same capability.If this is true why don't our local agencies join this system.We would have an excellent system and also have good Interop capabilites that I thought all agencies talk about. But our excellent state police force apparently does not have enough encryption to suit the soon to be super secret local agencies in the central Va area.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
I forgot to mention in the previous post I was told by the unnamed Chairperson of the Henrico Board of Supervisors that our Va state police radio system was full of problems and multi million dollar boondogle.
Yet her husband who is a member of the Va House of Delagates contradicted his wife statement she made to me in an earlier conversation to me Someone is not being truthfull.Thank You for having this great forum.May God bless our Public Safety Officials and also to the US Military for their service to this great nation.

reconrider8

from what i can understand VIPER was suppose to be like stars is now but counties just started jumping on it and it never stopped

jim202

I forgot to mention in the previous post I was told by the unnamed Chairperson of the Henrico Board of Supervisors that our Va state police radio system was full of problems and multi million dollar boondogle.
Yet her husband who is a member of the Va House of Delagates contradicted his wife statement she made to me in an earlier conversation to me Someone is not being truthfull.Thank You for having this great forum.May God bless our Public Safety Officials and also to the US Military for their service to this great nation.

You might want to find another source of information about the Virginia STARS system. When it was first installed, I might agree with what you said. Today, it is a whole different story.

Find a source much closer to the state system than the 4th party feedback you have now.

W4UVV

700 mhz. trs - Phase 2

Does any know if this system is going to be Phase1 or2. I was hoping Caroline County would come on board the Hanover County System. Looks like that option would have more cost effective but we the public seem to have no say in how our taxpayer dollars are spent. By the way I would like to let everyone know that top government officials in Hanover County to told me they have no plans to encrypt their system. I commend them for their decision.They understand how we scanner listeners can be a valuable asset to them . I cannot say the same about the others in the Richmond Metro area. Just my 2cents for whatever it's worth.

The FCC has mandated all 700 mhz. trs contain TDMA (Phase 2) operating capability. It is the licensee's decision of which baseline or selected combinations of both baselines to use.

John
W4UVV

CPerk

Has Caroline chose Phase I or II ? and when are the switching over.. If when they switch over, will the system be in RR, so all us that have a radio does phase II can upload to scanner?

jim202

The FCC has mandated all 700 mhz. trs contain TDMA (Phase 2) operating capability. It is the licensee's decision of which baseline or selected combinations of both baselines to use.

John
W4UVV

Are you forgetting that the FCC has withdrawn their order that the 700 MHz. systems no longer have to go narrow band. Basically this means there is no reason to have to be forced into going phase 2. What this also means is that agencies no longer have to dump all the radio equipment they currently have that won't go phase 2 and have to buy all new user equipment.

Bottom line here is there is no longer a mandate from the FCC to be forced into going phase 2 down the road. Those agencies that don't have user equipment able to do phase 2 can continue to use their existing user radios.

Unless there is a major compelling reason for needing additional RF channels, phase 2 is not even being considered by many agencies now. About time the FCC has done the industry a favor.

fredva

Feed Provider
Are you forgetting that the FCC has withdrawn their order that the 700 MHz. systems no longer have to go narrow band.

John's comment about the 700 Mhz Phase 2 mandate was made back in August. According to what I see, the elimination of that mandate didn't occur until October.

Status
Not open for further replies.