Virginia State Police Helicopter

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntsman2

Does anyone know what simplex/ or tac frequencies the helicopter uses to talk to units on the ground with?
Are any of the old vhf tac frequencies still used ?

shumadine

I'm not sure where in the State you are. Here in Richmond, we hear them two ways: Legacy channel 462.950 mhz and on the STARS system on talkgroup 2407 which is used by the Dept. of Emergency Management. Maybe they are always simulcast on both, but I don't know since I'm only listening to one scanner at a time.

***Edit: I just saw your other post and saw you are in Augusta County. Maybe tune into the DEM talkgroups there and you might hear it.****

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I second that, 462.9500 and STARS TG 2407. I don't know if they have other TG's on STARS, probably do. TG 2407 is Statewide, so you'll hear calls from all over the state

John

Premium Subscriber
It depends on what jurisdiction they are working with on the ground. For areas on VHF they frequently use 155.205 (EMS Statewide) but they can also use the VHF National Interoperability Channels (VTAC/VCALL). Many jurisdictions have authorized them to use their individual dispatch or tactical channels.

John

Premium Subscriber
Re-reading your post I think you may be asking what channel they use to talk with VSP units on the ground. If that is the case then it is usually a STARS talkgroup for that division. It might one of the TAC channels or the 3 channel (i.e. Richmond-3) or even one of the interoperability STARS channels. It just depends on how big the event is and how long it may last whether they have a dedicated channel or just use whatever the troopers on the scene are already using. In any case if you scan the VSP channels for your division you should hear them.

The 2407 VDEM talkgroup appears to only be used in eastern Va for the helicopters to talk with Va EOC for flight following and dispatch. In western Va I have not heard them on the VDEM talkgroup.

The VHF and UHF channels are generally used for medical calls to talk with local units.

John

kf4pod

VSP Helicopter

VSP Medflight is based out the the Chesterfield Airport. They utilize the call sign Medflight 1 for all medevac missions. Medflight 1 generally remains on VSP Richmond 1 (STARS TG 1). In addition to 462.950 and STARS TG 2407, they utilize Statewide EMS frequency 155.205 (CSQ). If aviation support is requested for other than a Medflight mission, the trooper-pilot will use his regular call sign (e.g., 505 and 525 are two of the trooper-pilots assigned to Chesterfield). They will use the corresponding talk group for the division requesting aviation support. The legacy TAC and Surveillance channels can be accessed but are seldom used. Hope this helps.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
VSP Medflight is based out the the Chesterfield Airport. They utilize the call sign Medflight 1 for all medevac missions.

FYI, VSP actually has three aviation bases: MedFlight I in Chesterfield, MedFlight II in Abingdon, and MedFlight III in Lynchburg.

The VSP aviation base in Manassas closed several years ago. A private search and rescue helicopter outfit now provides SAR support for NOVA.

QDP2012

Status
Not open for further replies.