New STARS site

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
While on the way up to Wytheville yesterday, I noticed a tower at the Rest Area on I-77 at the NC State Line. There was a post on here recently about a proposed STARS site being at a Rest Area on I-77 so on the way back today I did a little bit of searching. What I got was Site 229 with a control channel of 161.8275. Listening for a brief time, I heard the VDOT Safety Patrol on it. I figure that Beamer Knob would be shadowed a bit on the mountainside and Bull Mountain is a distance away, so I can see where a site at the Rest Area could fill in a coverage gap.

QDP2012

Thank you for confirming and sharing this information.

In case this might be useful for submitting the information to the RRDB...
According to VDOT's list of Welcome Centers, that welcome center is known as the "Lambsburg Welcome Center".
According to the Travel Reference (VA) I-77 RR Wiki page, it is located in Carroll County, VA at the VA/NC state line.

Thanks again,

Last edited:

W4UVV

STARS 177 Rest Stop Site

While on the way up to Wytheville yesterday, I noticed a tower at the Rest Area on I-77 at the NC State Line. There was a post on here recently about a proposed STARS site being at a Rest Area on I-77 so on the way back today I did a little bit of searching. What I got was Site 229 with a control channel of 161.8275. Listening for a brief time, I heard the VDOT Safety Patrol on it. I figure that Beamer Knob would be shadowed a bit on the mountainside and Bull Mountain is a distance away, so I can see where a site at the Rest Area could fill in a coverage gap.

Thanks for posting this info about the I77 Rest Stop site. In about 2 weeks I will be traveling to visit my sons one of whom lives in Mooresville, NC. Memorial Day weekend I will drive up I77 and down I81 to Bristol,VA. I will have plenty of time to stop at the rest area and run PRO96COM for more site info.

Now only the Amelia VDOT site in Div. 3, Big Walker Mtn. and unknown Wise Co. Div. 4 sites remain undocumented.

John
W4UVV

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
Big Walker Mountain

While in Wytheville, I did a few searches around 152 mhz and 158-161 mhz to see if I could find something on Big Walker but I never found anything new, just sites 210 and 211. My hotel was sort of in a hole and I was using a 396XT with a less than great antenna though.

W4UVV

Big Walker Mtn. site

While in Wytheville, I did a few searches around 152 mhz and 158-161 mhz to see if I could find something on Big Walker but I never found anything new, just sites 210 and 211. My hotel was sort of in a hole and I was using a 396XT with a less than great antenna though.

The Big Walker Mtn. area is somewhat large. There have been mixed reports as to the actual new STARS site location but no confirmed reception to date. A wild guess is the new location might favor the I77 tunnel area since VDOT has a location near there and VSP uses in tunnel frequencies. For searching CCs try 151.1-152.8, 158.8-159.5 and 161.4-162.0 mhz.

John
W4UVV

Status
Not open for further replies.