NASA Wallops Installing New Motorola P25 Phase II System

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4APR

I posted a press release on the news forum a few weeks ago, but it never showed up, so I guess it wasn't approved.

I'm finally at a point where I can talk a little bit about our new Motorola P25 Phase II trunking system we're putting in later this year. The contract was awarded about a month ago after a VERY lengthy ~6 year engineering study/survey. It came down to Motorola and Harris. We currently have an aging (dying) VHF EDACS Harris system. We'll now be going to a Motorola UHF P25 Phase II Simulcasted two site system.

Slated to install around December timeframe and acceptance/cutover in early 2017 (hopefully January).

That's about all I can say right now, but I hope to update as things progress.

CqDx

Any idea if this system is up and operational yet?

Supposedly an identical system is being built as well at Goddard Space Flight Center in MD suburb to replace the existing EDACS system.

kc4jgc

Not as far as I know; I still hear the two EDACS systems occaisionally while transiting along US13.

Haven't heard Jason in quite a while. Hope all is well with him and is busy with the new system.

K4APR

Thanks, Steve! I'm OK, just swamped at work. We're still gearing up for this system roll out. That is taking most of my time right now.

The system is tied to an Astro Core that is located at Goddard. Goddard has a single RF site and we have two RF sites (simulcasted). The EDACS system is still online and in operation. It will remain so, at least for a few months after the new system goes online (safe fallback, if needed). Before the end of the year, we will decom the old system and forklift it out. Even the old shelter will be removed at the main site. I'll be glad to see EDACS go!

We took delivery of 21 pallets of equipment from Motorola last week. Site equipment will come in June timeframe, after staging.

So it's really happening now :D

K4APR

I should add that the schedule on this project slipped from my original dates in the original post. We're looking at staging in May. Roll-out early July and cut-over soon after.

K4APR

I have been testing out the APX8000XE for deployment to our fire and security...

Motorola%20APX8000xe.jpg

MotoTRK

Looks like I may have to take a trip across the dreaded CBBT toll hog to go up that way once system is up to monitor some fun stuff

MotoTRK

I personally love the CBBT. Hate the toll ;)

Im the same way, just before I got my EZ PASS (finally) it was more difficult to ensure I always have cash on hand. Good news is with EZ Pass I get a discount on a return trip within 24 HRS

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Im the same way, just before I got my EZ PASS (finally) it was more difficult to ensure I always have cash on hand. Good news is with EZ Pass I get a discount on a return trip within 24 HRS

You also get a discount trip with cash if its within 24 hours and you have your receipt

MotoTRK

You also get a discount trip with cash if its within 24 hours and you have your receipt

Thought they did away with the cash discount

EDIT:

Direct from the CBBT website home page "The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel implemented toll rate changes on January 1, 2014. All discounts offered by the CBBT require the use of E-ZPass."

Last edited:

K4APR

Today I spent some time working with the UHF APX4000 Model III handhelds we'll be handing out to a majority of the people working on the facility.

We also have Model II's (limited keypad) going to many people who rarely change channels or have a need for scan.

Motorola%20APX4000.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.