Strange TG on Roanoke DMR Ham - Any ideas???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
The last couple of months or so I've been picking up a strange TG on the Ham DMR repeater in Roanoke.

It is NOT a linked TG into any of the normal ones. Monitor all on the regular TGs is silent while this one is active. That listening through a DMR radio.

The TG is 1877810 and today in the latest incarnation was heard on the 775 repeater. Nothing was coming through on the other two Roanoke DMR Ham repeaters.

The people were just chatting about this and that so it didn't sound like sysops or something. Routine chatter.

This TG came through on both a Uniden 536 and a RS Pro668 w/1080 upgrade so it wasn't a scanner receive issue.

The TG is not listed on the DMRVA page.

So does anyone know what it is?

K4APR

Might be an subscriber ID -

Subscriber IDs are 7 digits: XXXYZZZ
where XXX= Country
Y= State/Province
ZZZ= Sequentially assigned subscriber number

Good webpage - https://dmr-marc.net/

Doesn't come up as a registered ID on DMR-MARC. I'm guessing it's either a couple of rogue users that don't know what they are doing or are just trying to stay "off the log" by using an odd talkgroup number.

Which time slot were they on?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Becoming a problem

Freelanced radio IDs and talkgroups is actually becoming quite a problem in some areas, as are uncoordinated repeaters.

Some hams get together, decide they just have to have their own "private" repeater, go out and buy a DMR repeater and set it up any old how. Often there's no coordination, so they could end up interfering with a coordinated repeater.

It's possible that's what this is, coordinated or not.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Okay.
First it is NOT an ID. Regular IDs that are registered come up on this TG. 315xxxx

It is definitely a talk group.

One of the IDs was on regular TGs earlier. He is also someone who I've seen before and seems to be close to the guy running DMRVA.

The one guy had actually been talking earlier about people putting up repeaters and not joining DMRVA but going it on their own and or joining other networks instead of the Virginia one. Was telling other person on earlier TG to make sure and join DMRVA when he put up his repeater and call the guy running it. Apparently the guy was planning to get a DMR repeater. The one guy seemed to be very big on doing things the "Right" way which makes me wonder about blowing rules off but you never know.

The TG was on color code 1 time slot 1

Anyway as I said the TG has been up for a while. I'm not down there a lot usually so monitoring is difficult for me to get more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.