CSX RR Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Noticed an update to the database regarding CSX frequencies, mainly in the Richmond area. Has anyone been able to confirm that these new frequencies are actually being used, or are they just part of an FCC license?

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Noticed an update to the database regarding CSX frequencies, mainly in the Richmond area. Has anyone been able to confirm that these new frequencies are actually being used, or are they just part of an FCC license?

They have 3 road freqs for RF&P, so I gotta wonder. I live near Acca and will investigate.

Here is an update for CSX in Newport News that I actually monitored. 160.71 has a lot of synthetic voice. Sounds like engineers can throw some switches via DTMF and the voice tells them what they've done once it's ready for them.

Would love to know if this kind of thing is going on elsewhere

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Here's another freq to check in Newport News. I picked up 160.815 while in the Oyster Point area.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
161.010 is the North Yard at Acca, 161.310 is the South Yard at Acca. There are other frequencies listed as "North Yard" or "South Yard" which I don't believe are being used. At least, I haven't heard any traffic on them yet.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
160.230 is what CSX uses in DC, MD, and WV as the main road freq--train crew chat and defect detectors and whatnot. 160.320 is occasionally used to chat with dispatch.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
To help clear things up, here's the list of the new frequencies that were added. These are frequencies I haven't ever had programmed before and have yet to hear comms on.

W4UVV

These are the same frequency group

------------------------

These modified licensed frequencies are often appearing as the CSX and NS's efforts to enhance their RR crossings along their routes in Virginia with occasional listings for a location(s) also outside of Virginia but still on that particular lRR's out of state route.

It also is possible that the present frequencies designated for this effort will be insufficient and more "new" frequency's combination relationships may be license modified or new license added in the future as a culminating in a frequency "pool" of selected dedicated frequencies available only for this use "project".

Not much detailed info is available in detail as to specifics so most commen ts now are speculation until the system is operational and info surfaces regarding Virginia in particular or most likely globally encompassing both or more railroad's multi-state routes as to where it currently is operational..

Possibly this project will be documented in one or more of the National Association of Railroads industry organs.

At some point in time the media will have the story when operational and working as designed or not if an accident occurs directly related to the new enhanced RR crossing warnings "project".

Monitor these and other related frequencies when mobile and when you hear crazy tones or a DTA synthesized voice warning log whatever it was and try to see the specific frequency it used if possible.
The two use frequencies used for DTA voice warnings can switched for use in different parts of the state.

Rt. 460 is an excellent test bed as it has RR crossings at all the smaller cities/towns plus the Petersburg, tri-cities, Chesterfield Co. I don't think Richmond city has any but on northward along the I95 corridor should have some rural ungated RR crossings.

John
W4UVV

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what railroad crossing project you're referring to. This isn't something being discussed in the railroad/railfan community. The only "project" that is a hot topic currently is the installation of Positive Train Control, which is a new safety feature mandated by the federal government; but that is utilizing the 220MHz range.

W4UVV

Please read these links

I'm not sure what railroad crossing project you're referring to. This isn't something being discussed in the railroad/railfan community. The only "project" that is a hot topic currently is the installation of Positive Train Control, which is a new safety feature mandated by the federal government; but that is utilizing the 220MHz range.

--------------------
Trainman111:

Please you and the other posters read the below links regarding the related subject. Subsequently and reading your post you will see I placed "project" first with a question mark following and secondly in parentheses. In English grammar punctuation those word attributions as I used them, indicate that I did not know exactly what the specific name of the NS and CSX's efforts was or if any specific name even exised for their enhanced RR route crossings enhanced safety warning efforts. So please no more posts about what the word "project" means. Call these NS/CSX efforts whatever you want to call them.

Both RRs initiated actions earlier this year and continue either via modifying existing or issuing new FCC NS and/or CSX licenses typically for 161.1150 mhz. and 161.5650 mhz.. These two frequencies apparently are dedicated to enhancing their respective MP RR crossings safety on their respective routes inside and outside of Virginia. As previously discussed, in time additional dedicated RR vhf frequencies may be required.

The below links also discussed the current situation as I knew it which presently has not changed.:

https://forums.radioreference.com/2786353-post1.html

https://forums.radioreference.com/v...-enhanced-safety-rr-mp-crossings-project.html

John
W4UVV

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
John, I'm not familiar with the term DTA in relation to synthesized voice transmissions. I am hearing them, though, on 160.95 which I can only presume to be the Portlock Yard at this point. I think that there are only a few synthesized things, and there is still plenty of live voice on this freq also.

CSX has digital voice transmissions on 160.71 in Newport News, where it appears that someone can call up a various track routings using DTMF tones. The voice will advise them to 'please wait', and then announce the route which has been implemented. Specifically, 'Pier 9' (presumably Kinder-Morgan coal terminal) and 'Hampton Branch.' Because I'm hearing the DTMF tones and the voice with equal strength, I'm assuming that there must be some sort of 'input' frequency. Have not been able to find it in a rail search. I hear no live human voice on this freq at all.

They also have 160.23, 160.32, 160.53 and 161.16 active in the terminal area, but I haven't been able to determine how 160.53 and 161.16 are specifically used. There is also sporadic switching type traffic on 160.815 further west toward Fort Eustis.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

73/Allen (N4JRI)

W4UVV

DTA

John, I'm not familiar with the term DTA in relation to synthesized voice transmissions. I am hearing them, though, on 160.95 which I can only presume to be the Portlock Yard at this point. I think that there are only a few synthesized things, and there is still plenty of live voice on this freq also.

CSX has digital voice transmissions on 160.71 in Newport News, where it appears that someone can call up a various track routings using DTMF tones. The voice will advise them to 'please wait', and then announce the route which has been implemented. Specifically, 'Pier 9' (presumably Kinder-Morgan coal terminal) and 'Hampton Branch.' Because I'm hearing the DTMF tones and the voice with equal strength, I'm assuming that there must be some sort of 'input' frequency. Have not been able to find it in a rail search. I hear no live human voice on this freq at all.

They also have 160.23, 160.32, 160.53 and 161.16 active in the terminal area, but I haven't been able to determine how 160.53 and 161.16 are specifically used. There is also sporadic switching type traffic on 160.815 further west toward Fort Eustis.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

73/Allen (N4JRI)

---------------------------

Allen,

DTA is digital (audio) to analog conversion. Scanning these two frequencies over time fixed and mobile may indicate their usage regarding this effort. As of now everything is speculation.

John

trainman111

Premium Subscriber

73/Allen (N4JRI)

73/Allen (N4JRI)

I can confirm that both 160.530 and 161.160 are both used as yard frequencies on CSX (ex. C&O RR) trackage. Both are also used in Fulton Yard in Richmond as well as Clifton Forge Yard.

W4UVV

CSX may or may not be participating in a similar effort

I can confirm that both 160.530 and 161.160 are both used as yard frequencies on CSX (ex. C&O RR) trackage. Both are also used in Fulton Yard in Richmond as well as Clifton Forge Yard.

------------------------

The original post and focus only was for the NS system enhancing safety at their milepost crossings on its' Virginia routes. The focus will continue to be on NS.

CSX is an unknown. It may or may not be participating and/or conducting testing a similar effort using any of the same designated frequencies ided for NS as of interest.

John
W4UVV

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
I suppose I'll refer to my original post asking if anyone has actually heard any type of communications on these frequencies, or if they were arbitrarily added to the database due to an update on an FCC license. Railroads all over the country are licensed for a variety of frequencies in various locations, but rarily are ALL of those licensed frequencies actually used. Things project will be interesting if it develops, but my main post was referring to whether these frequencies have been verified to be in use, or if they were just added based on a hunch.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber

The ones I hear out here almost exclusively are 160.23125 and 160.31875. Both analog. Occasionally another will pop up. I hear something in the 500 range when in Covington but can't remember what it was.

I'll run a search tonight and see what I find then post it tomorrow.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Those two and 161.160

On one scanner (GRE) the other two are showing up 160.320 and 160.230 but on the Uniden they are showing up as posted above. Don't know as CC they show up as above too.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The ones I hear out here almost exclusively are 160.23125 and 160.31875.

Railroads use 5KHz frequency steps, not 1.25KHz. The correct freqs are 160.230 and 160.320. You probably have the wrong step in the band default settings in your scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.