York County Sheriffs Office - Encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwvnova

Hi all,

I am fairly new to the digital trucking/encrypted scene. I was big into listening to my local PD/Fire as a kid and am now trying to get back into it. I did some searching on this forum and it appears that my local PD, York County Sheriffs Office is all encrypted. Is that correct? Would that mean I'll just be able to listen to FD/EMS? Sorry for the basic question.

Eugene

Hampton LE also encrypted.....Newport News LE for the moment is not but they are moving eventually to phase II although not at the moment.

Eugene KG4AVE

Eugene

Yes....most likely the Police Chiefs and probably city manager/city council....wave of the future I'm afraid.

Eugene KG4AVE

Ensnared

Although I've never ever heard of an officer being harmed as a function of clear communication on a public safety transmission, the modal rhetoric seems to be officer's safety. Like the War On Drugs, it is baseless in fact. For example, during the Waco Twin Peaks Biker Shooting, no officers were harmed. I have 5 hours of encrypted radio traffic. I feel for you all.

fredva

Feed Provider
To echo what Eugene said, in Virginia, the decision to encrypt all agency talkgroups, some talkgroups, or no talkgroups appears to be the call of the sheriff or police chief.

In addition to officer safety, "the suspects hear we are coming and leave before we arrive" is also sometimes brought up to justify encryption.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Even the Organized Crime, SWAT and Investigations aren't encrypted for NNPD. Haven't heard one bit of encryption on NN

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Many police chiefs hate the idea of having their clear comms streamed on the net, and are taking steps to prevent the bad guys from listening in...whether they are or not.

Septa3371CSX1

Also that area has a lot of tourism. I've noticed many areas with heavy tourism like Yorktown have law enforcement fully encrypted. This is mainly done to control what gets reported so it doesn't hurt their image.

Eugene

And yet Virginia Beach does not encrypt, nor does Norfolk......both with lots of tourists and military. Not saying what was voiced about tourism is not true......but my suspicion, here anyway, is "the kid with a new toy" mentality by a lot of these Police Chiefs.

Eugene KG4AVE

Eugene

The other thing I have noticed about encryption, at least in this area, is the smaller or less populated the area.....the more likely they are to have encryption.....go figure.

Eugene KG4VAE

Status
Not open for further replies.