ORION/VIPERProgramming

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiphall

Hi folks.
Is anyone hearing anything regularly on ORION and/or VIPER? I realize that in the absence of a disaster scenario, there is little traffic on ORION, thus making it pretty hard to test... unless you stay up to listen for the 0400 hrs.Thursday morning roll call, of course. But there are a couple of specific TGs I'm interested in hearing. VIPER is a much busier network, and I hear occasional traffic from the South Mills TG, but so far, I'm not hearing the TG I'm specifically interested in hearing.
I think I have the systems loaded such that I should be hearing some traffic now and then, but I'm never sure if I've got my programming right or not. (... looks too much like a giant math problem to me, you know?) :) I guess I need another programming tutorial! Ragnar's must not have stuck. :)
Thanks for any help.
Skip

troymail

Silent Key
I was listening to various systems in including ORION while on a trip that took me over the BBT back in early August. The only system I had trouble with on my Unication G4 was Norfolk (still need to figure that one out).

Which radio are you using?

What talkgroup are you not hearing (on ORION)?

ORION has three different sites.... which one(s) are you trying to monitor? Are they all in range of your location?

kc4jgc

Virginia International Terminals PD uses ORION primarily.
There's plenty of activity during large events, such as Harborfest.
There's also some occasional LE (what I believe to be) training that makes listening interesting.

What specifically are you wanting to monitor on ORION and VIPER?

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
There's definitely a fair amount of LE traffic, surprised we're still hearing it. Occasionally Nightingale uses it when they're out of range for whatever reason, I've heard them use it while enroute to Duke Medical Center.

Eugene

Skip......you may hear NIT as it is listed on ORION. Also Norfolk uses ORION during Harborfest. You MAY be able to hear Currituck /Gates /Camden Co. on VIPER depending on what part of Suffolk you in. Other than that....not real sure what else would be on there routinely.

Eugene KG4AVE

Status
Not open for further replies.