Lynchburg CVRCS P25 upgrade - problems with HP-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbarney

Premium Subscriber
I have used a Homepatrol 2 for a couple years in Lynchburg and at Smith Mountain Lake (Bedford County). Since the change to P25, I have been unable to hear much on the Central Virginia Radio Communication System. I update the database via Sentinel at least once a week and it appears that channels have been updated but I only hear part of a conversation, if that. The scanner often stops on a channel but it is like the radio is muted. I pick up more fragments of calls from Amherst, less from Bedford and Lynchburg. Should I remain patient and hope that the Sentinel updates eventually work? Or are there other fixes? Thanks.

Dieseldudeva

I have a BCD436HP and monitor the CVRCS system. The sentinel database is definitely updated and you should be hearing traffic. Sounds like you might be having a reception issue. I have found in certain areas my scanner does not work very well, upgrading the rubber duck antenna seemed to help some but didn't completely fix the problem. This system definitely isn't as easy to monitor as the previous one.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Is CVRCS actively using Phase II

If the Lynchburg area system is actively using Phase II, the BC436 should receive it at least somewhat, but I'm thinking it leaves the Home Patrol units out in the cold. It might by that in some cases (or for certain talkgroups) they're using Phase 1, which the Home Patrol would probably still hear.

My reception was spotty on the TRX-1 when visiting the area recently, so even a fully capable receiver is has trouble.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
If the Lynchburg area system is actively using Phase II, the BC436 should receive it at least somewhat, but I'm thinking it leaves the Home Patrol units out in the cold. It might by that in some cases (or for certain talkgroups) they're using Phase 1, which the Home Patrol would probably still hear.

My reception was spotty on the TRX-1 when visiting the area recently, so even a fully capable receiver is has trouble.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

In his title it says Home Patrol 2 so he should have no issues with Phase 2 talk groups.
He is either in a bad spot for reception or getting interference, or not programmed right aka user error but im leaning towards the first two.

fredva

Feed Provider
The new system is a simulcast system, and there is a good chance you are experiencing the effects of simulcast distortion. Simulcast distortion is location-specific - one spot has good reception, another spot does not. Lots of info on RadioReference about simulcast or LSM distortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.