Page County Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I believe it is encrypted, as well. I have never been able to receive anything on my 436 with the DMR update.

djewel6

CONFIRMED.. Page Co SO is encrypted

Talked to my friend from HS tonight who runs EMS.. He confirmed they are indeed encrypted on Sheriff.. Now the even worse news.. He informed me tonight Fire and EMS are headed to the same digital radio protcols so they will be lost as well it appears.. He said he wasn't sure if dispatch would be encrypted due to the pager issues and needs for volunteers (cost to go to digital paging instead of keeping ability for mintour pagers or whatever) however so its likely he said they will have to maintain a regular channel simulcast for dispatch but traffic outside it will likely all be digital..

on a side note I find it interesting that this move to DMR is happening more and more and away from traditional P25 even Type 2.. I wonder if its a cost savings issue as its easier for them to move to a DMR situation without having to get new trunked channels in 700 or 800mhz bands like many rural counties have done who moved to trunked systems like Pittsylvania County did in South Central VA.. Or even how a county in TN Marion County is using DMR instead of a traditional trunk P25 type I/II system..

It does bother me though that this widespread movement is going on to make it harder for people to listen..Not just as a scanner enthusiast whos also spend time in Fire and EMS but brings up the obvious "What is the real motive for this" and "Is it a push to keep things more secretive and hidden from the public" I get Law Enforcement totally for especially hot calls being encrypted to keep the bad guys from knowing whats doing on etc.. but encrypting stuff like a dispatch for a house fire or commercial structure seems just odd.. Its not like hundreds of joe publics show up to watch a house burn.. Its how the news media many times gets their headsup for a major news making story in reality..

fredva

Feed Provider
I'm wondering if your friend is talking about this? https://forums.radioreference.com/v...-warren-co-looking-merging-radio-systems.html

There are exceptions, but generally what I've seen smaller counties in Virginia do is 1) apply DMR or P25 digital to their existing conventional frequencies or 2) combine with another county or two to share the cost of a P25 trunking system. In at least one case I know about, the county tried option 1 and then decided later to go with option 2. Perhaps Page County will do the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.